Modular reactors still viable?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I recently made a docked reactor. It's 141x7x7, 1 mil e/sec, 700-800k power transfered (there's a loss) and is 100% stable.

Why not 9x9xsomething? Cause I'm using it as part of my interior and I'm decorating the outer layer of the reactor. Docking areas can also overlap, so I could pack them tight just as well as bigger reactors.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Do you mean that lag issues that might have otherwise resulted in missed ticks have been resolved? Can we now build a reactor and expect it to actually behave as designed?
    Nah, I meant that it's power stable :P. So even if the server lags and the reactor starts producing less energy it has enough power storage to cover that power loss (not for long tho). I think that's what you were referring to.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Nah, I meant that it's power stable :p. So even if the server lags and the reactor starts producing less energy it has enough power storage to cover that power loss (not for long tho). I think that's what you were referring to.
    I thought this was fixed? Power regen does not stop with lag anymore, or it shouldn't at least.
    We did test this out several months ago, spawned 30 ish big ships and had lag, debugs, but power regen always kept working (power regen == consump so any fluctuation would have been noticed).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I thought this was fixed? Power regen does not stop with lag anymore, or it shouldn't at least.
    We did test this out several months ago, spawned 30 ish big ships and had lag, debugs, but power regen always kept working (power regen == consump so any fluctuation would have been noticed).
    Dunno, it might be. I still took precautions to ensure that I always get my energy. And I mostly meant stable as in it transfers energy for ever (never runs out), I guess that was a bit useless considering the nature of docked reactors.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Powersupply beams got a massive buff in the latest update. I haven't tested it, yet, but looking at the numbers this thread is obsolete.
    Correct. It's certainly viable right now (and it is planned to stay viable).

Reaction score
    I've been testing a docked reactor setup for my titan and I have noticed huge amounts of power loss when there is any noticeable lag. I tested my power regeneration by draining all power and timing how long it would take to fill back up. I have a huge power tank system that takes around 100 seconds to fully recharge (just for testing purposes) when there is relatively no lag. But when there is, that number will sometimes double.