Modular component systems

Reaction score
    So first of all, I'd like to say I really love this game so far, the potential is great, and I'm amazed with how you've incorporated the docking and turret systems. At the very least, in that you've incorporated a working and not lagtastic docking and turret system.

However, something I'm a little disappointed on, is that there isn't... Basically a modular ship system, that kind of works like docking does. Because that's how I design ships. Now I'm thinking things like, you can have a base frame for the ship, and maybe have a plexdoor to get to some of the internal structure, and you load in a module into that system, that gets incorporated into the ship itself, rather than being treated as a different entity like docking does; the potential is visible from having turrets able to drain power from the ship they're mounted on.

For example, lets say you have a ship, and you install a cannon module into it. After some testing, you decide, you don't like how that works, or now you're going to go on a mining mission. So rather than rebuilding the entire thing, you take the module out, and swap in a module that's designed to be a salvage system, instead. All doable by turrets so far, yes. But lets say you find out that your ship doesn't hold up well in combat, so you swap out that mining module and replace it with a shield module, instead. Or you discover that for the way your weapons systems work, it'd be better to have a power core that focuses more on generation than capacity. You could have your main core be a separate module, and swap it out. (Also allows for warp core ejection from Star Trek. ^_~)

But that's all things that you can do with patience and replacing blocks, yes. Now lets look at the advantages for fleet design and construction. We'll use Star Trek again as an example. Let's say you want to make both a Miranda class ship (The USS Reliant) and a refit Constitution class ship (The Enterprise-A, in this case). Both of them use the exact same style of warp engines (although they're mirrored, or have a fin, et cetera, minor details easy enough to change). Rather than make the exact same warp engine four times (as there are two per ship), you make a module that you buy four times, and mount them onto the ships. This also allows for having engines that are designed for jump drives, and ones that are designed for thrusters. (Or have ones that are made for increased power output). All of which you could just switch at a shipyard as quickly as unmounting a module and mounting the new one, and you can come back later for the them, rather than deleting the old engines and building a new one every time, or building an entirely new ship. This becomes especially useful when you start designing/building entire cultures of ships, that all use similar design methodologies in their components.

But wait, it gets even better, when you think in terms of carriers! You can have a squadron of strike craft, all with their weapons systems installed as modules. You can have them loaded up with cannons to bring down an opponent's shields, and then, in the middle of combat, have them return to the carrier, swap out their cannons for missiles, and use them to start battering away at the soft metal bits of the ships hull. And once the ship's core is overheating, swap them for salvage systems to mine up the ship to use to build new ships.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This is at a basic level something that is already in the game. The focus of the game is to create your own ship, there is no framework provided by the developers or anyone else for you to start with because that is the point. However, using templates with the advanced build mode, you can copy and save different modular pieces to construct your ship. You can make one weapon arrangement and place it where you want, or press undo and remove it entirely without harming outside structures. You can save infinite structures that also stores the data for logic and other bits of information.

The advanced build mode is only getting better with each update as well. Recently we just got it working with symmetry and rotation. So now, those copied parts can be placed more at a time or turned to face specific directions. The only limit currently is the size of copy-able areas which can be changed in the config for the game.

People have already released template packs. I believe @tenk11kamikaza has one. I myself will be designing one based on my current EVE project in the far future.

Reaction score
    ... o_O There's a templates in advanced build mode thing? (Loads up game to investigate...)

Edit: ... But... How do you save templates...?

Edit x 2: Oh okay, I found it... It's a shame it's only up to 10 x 10 x 10, though... I was thinking things like entire ship engines, or the like...

Reaction score
    The limit can be edited in the server.cfg file in your starmade folder. look for PLAYER_MAX_BUILD_AREA

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    ... o_O There's a templates in advanced build mode thing? (Loads up game to investigate...)

Edit: ... But... How do you save templates...?

Edit x 2: Oh okay, I found it... It's a shame it's only up to 10 x 10 x 10, though... I was thinking things like entire ship engines, or the like...
    As I stated above, that option is changeable in the config file for the server. You have one if you have ever played the game. Press ctrl+F and search for build. You will see the value is set to 10 but you can change it to anything you want. I wouldn't suggest going above 100 unless you are sure you can copy/paste 100 cubed areas with your PC.

Reaction score
    Oh, cool... Thank you for the information! ^____^ This game is getting cooler than I thought it was as time progresses, and it hasn't even updated. XD[DOUBLEPOST=1411870408,1411870338][/DOUBLEPOST]I kinda wish it was a client rather than server side thing, because that means you have to design your modules with the server's settings in mind, though.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would like to see hard-point docks, which could act like Space Engineers merge blocks, if you know what those are.

Reaction score
    I would like to see hard-point docks, which could act like Space Engineers merge blocks, if you know what those are.
    So basically auto-swappable turrets that only point forwards? Yes plz.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    No no no hard points. When you swap out the weapon systems of a ship. A turret is external.
    No, docked ships are not always "external". I use a casing system on my ships where only the front most face of the gun is exposed. Basically, you can cover the whole thing with the main ship, so long as the front is exposed enough for the shots to come out. Switching them out can be a pain, but it allows the docked ship to more or less utilize the main ship's shields, and auto tracks and fires on enemies in range.

The main downside to these is the wide Arc of fire they have, so you'd have to position them in such a way that they wouldn't try and shoot through the main ship (kinda limited, but it's better then nothing).

Reaction score
    No, docked ships are not always "external". I use a casing system on my ships where only the front most face of the gun is exposed. Basically, you can cover the whole thing with the main ship, so long as the front is exposed enough for the shots to come out. Switching them out can be a pain, but it allows the docked ship to more or less utilize the main ship's shields, and auto tracks and fires on enemies in range.

The main downside to these is the wide Arc of fire they have, so you'd have to position them in such a way that they wouldn't try and shoot through the main ship (kinda limited, but it's better then nothing).
    I'm talking about hard points that you can swap out. They can be of any size and shape. Turrets you have to dig a square hole, because of docking space shenanigans.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm talking about hard points that you can swap out. They can be of any size and shape. Turrets you have to dig a square hole, because of docking space shenanigans.
    I'll give you a hint, if you follow my idea and end up with a square box covered in hull on the outside of your ship while trying to mimic what I am saying, you're not thinking outside the box. The 'hardpoint' doesn't have to be a perfect cube, nor is the 'output' for the weapon always in the center (unless you put it there).

But know this much; the basic form of hardpoints is in the game, just not as a full blown dev-created mechanic. I would generally oppose adding 'official' hardpoints to the game, unless they open up a broader range of possibilities that we couldn't already do with fixed-docking-points, since it would more or less be wasting the dev's time (and player-created concepts are far more flexible then dev-introduced ones anyways). But that's my opinion, just be aware I would normally swat at any idea/suggestion that merely mimics what we can already do with a little creativity.

Reaction score
    I'll give you a hint, if you follow my idea and end up with a square box covered in hull on the outside of your ship while trying to mimic what I am saying, you're not thinking outside the box. The 'hardpoint' doesn't have to be a perfect cube, nor is the 'output' for the weapon always in the center (unless you put it there).

But know this much; the basic form of hardpoints is in the game, just not as a full blown dev-created mechanic. I would generally oppose adding 'official' hardpoints to the game, unless they open up a broader range of possibilities that we couldn't already do with fixed-docking-points, since it would more or less be wasting the dev's time (and player-created concepts are far more flexible then dev-introduced ones anyways). But that's my opinion, just be aware I would normally swat at any idea/suggestion that merely mimics what we can already do with a little creativity.
    I know what you're saying. But official hardpoints would add more variety

Reaction score
    I kinda wish it was a client rather than server side thing, because that means you have to design your modules with the server's settings in mind, though.
    It's to stop people from crashing a server. I have mine set to 100 rather than 10, but placing a 100x100x100 cube can sometimes crash my game. Somebody could hop onto a server and build a 1000x1000x1000 cube (if they had the resources) and just crash the server.

Still, a higher default setting would be nice. I wouldn't mind seeing a 'whitelist' of sorts where an admin can give trusted players a larger build area so factions can more easily build large ships on public servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    For modular systems I think the ability to dock a "module" and then have it actually act as part of the ship would be great.
    Ie. You can make a module with cannons + cannon computer and you would be able to put that computer on the quick bar from the T menu. Doing this with just build mode is very messy so I think it'd be worthwhile. The only issue with this is that from what I see about logic not being able to transcend entities (you cant link the logic systems of a ship and its turrets.) is that the same would be impossible for this module idea.

Well just my input.

Reaction score
    Another thing I thought of that is a benefit to this, over just copy / pasta, is that you can have A: (Again, Star Trek as a reference) Galaxy class Saucer separation, or the multi-vector attack mode of the Prometheus. Also, in a less separation perspective, you can have a Voltron kind of setup, with joining multiple ships in your fleet together, like the Macross did with the carriers, or attempted to do with the ARMD class ships.

Also, depending on how it's implemented, (IE if each module has to be a completely independent ship, complete with ship core), then it helps with the core-drilling issue, in that each module has its own core that needs to be taken out; if you have a 3x3 cube of rectangular modules, taking out one isn't going to take out the entire ship, and you'd have to take out at least three to separate the ship into smaller components.

Reaction score
    What about warp core ejection? If we had the command chairs and cores as separate things idea implemented along with this we could have a ship core and some power blocks and such that you can eject before the ship blows. it would be a derelict ship but it is better than death before they implement ship spawning.