Mobile version or touchscreen controls

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I apologize in advance if this has been suggested recently, no mention appeared on the first two pages of a search.

I recently purchased a Surface 3, and playing Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition with the touch controls is a blast. I was really surprised how quickly I adapted from a mouse and keyboard to using a virtual gamepad on the screen and touch for the menus.

I've tried to duplicate some of this in StarMade using an app called GestureWorks that used to be on Steam (it is now discontinued). I've had mixed results, StarMade requires a lot of keyboard remapping to be completely touch-friendly.

A mobile version ala Minecraft PE (which Minecraft: Win10 Edition is the same thing) would be really cool, but would take a lot of effort and isn't as important as finishing the game right now. Less difficult than porting to another platform would be adding the option for a virtual gamepad to the existing game.

I imagine a virtual controller with a virtual stick for yaw and pitch, a D-pad for roll or translational motion, "menu" and "mode change" buttons, and custom virtual buttons for the main interaction functions (drop a block, take a block, select, connect, and activate/deactivate/enter/exit).

I'm using a 3rd party utility to accomplish this, but I think it would be cool, and potentially expand the playerbase, to add this feature. Once the touch controls are in place, it might be a lot easier to port to Android or iOS. Obviously not a high priority.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree.

The hotbar is prime real estate for swiping gestures.

Also, using the mouse to click on a location on the screen to have the ship's engines turn towards where you clicked would seem more "spaceship-y" in my opinion and would be a simple, intuitive way to steer with a touch interface, but you should be able to toggle back and forth for the fighterpilots and other joystick players.

If navigation used location-clicks for steering, you could keep the tab menu (the one including buttons for inventory, catalog, navigation, and so on) showing at the top of the screen all the time, further improving the touchscreen interface.

I would enjoy watching Lets-Play videos with players using touchscreens alone to play Starmade. Someday, maybe it would be me.