Mobile Improvement + Forum Fixes

Reaction score
    Welp, I'd prefer less JavaScript, not more.
    SMD really taxes the browser if you have a few tabs of it open at the same time. And I have no issues with several windows with lots of tabs in each, as long as SMD is not among them. I can track down browser slowness to SMD each and every time.
    This is most likely to do with the performance heavy ads displayed on SMD, not the actual site content. This has been the number one cause for delayed page loading time and resource usage. Taxation on browser performance has been reduced with this new theme, are you experiencing greater usage from SMD than before?
    SMD has ads?

I can't say I'm experiencing worse performance than before. All I can say is I have been experiencing browser performance issues before, and I could always alleviate them by closing the SMD tabs.
    Usually I have all SMD tabs in one window and just close that one window, so again, I couldn't tell which parts of SMD are (or were) responsible, only that closing that particular window makes all the slowdown go away if and when it happens.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    SMD has ads?

I can't say I'm experiencing worse performance than before. All I can say is I have been experiencing browser performance issues before, and I could always alleviate them by closing the SMD tabs.
    Usually I have all SMD tabs in one window and just close that one window, so again, I couldn't tell which parts of SMD are (or were) responsible, only that closing that particular window makes all the slowdown go away if and when it happens.
    Yes, SMD has advertisements. Browser performance issues likely come from advertisements, or the chat module (if you have it loaded). Otherwise, everything else is lightweight.

Reaction score
    Yes, SMD has advertisements. Browser performance issues likely come from advertisements, or the chat module (if you have it loaded). Otherwise, everything else is lightweight.
    I wonder... how can ads I don't even see affect browser performance? The adblocker does its job once and is done with it, unless you actively push new ads... which might explain performance issues...
    And no, I don't think I have the chat module loaded, I guess I could tell if I had?

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I wonder... how can ads I don't even see affect browser performance? The adblocker does its job once and is done with it, unless you actively push new ads... which might explain performance issues...
    And no, I don't think I have the chat module loaded, I guess I could tell if I had?
    Ok. Yes, you could tell if the chat was loaded. What phone and browser are you using? I'm having a hard time generating notable performance issues with 7 SMD tabs open. Do you frequent other forums on your phone and do they have the same performance impact?

Reaction score
    Ok. Yes, you could tell if the chat was loaded. What phone and browser are you using? I'm having a hard time generating notable performance issues with 7 SMD tabs open. Do you frequent other forums on your phone and do they have the same performance impact?
    As I said, I'm not using a phone. I'm using Firefox on an AMD FX8350 with 16G RAM, I don't think I should be experiencing browser issues there.
    EDIT: Oops, I was certain I had said that I'm not on a crappy phone. Apparently I didn't, my bad.

And it doesn't happen every time I open a handful of tabs, but it has happened more than once when I had "many" SMD tabs open, maybe twenty or more. My usual browsing pattern is
    * open New Forum Posts
    * open each interesting thread in its own tab
    * read one tab, close it, next tab.
    That's the pattern I use with most gaming forums I frequent, and at times I have several windows open, all with anywhere from five to thirty tabs, and I have only experienced issues with SMD.

It's not an issue I am currently experiencing, but I could trace it back to SMD every time, and since I doubt CSS is the cause, the only other suspect is JS, hence my initial comment of "oh noes, not more JS please".

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    As I said, I'm not using a phone. I'm using Firefox on an AMD FX8350 with 16G RAM, I don't think I should be experiencing browser issues there.

And it doesn't happen every time I open a handful of tabs, but it has happened more than once when I had "many" SMD tabs open, maybe twenty or more. My usual browsing pattern is
    * open New Forum Posts
    That's the pattern I use with most gaming forums I frequent, and at times I have several windows open, all with anywhere from five to thirty tabs, and I have only experienced issues with SMD.

It's not an issue I am currently experiencing, but I could trace it back to SMD every time, and since I doubt CSS is the cause, the only other suspect is JS, hence my initial comment of "oh noes, not more JS please".
    Ok, the only thing I can think of would be chat. We know there is a memory leak on the chat page (which will be fixed in a few weeks), otherwise, I'm not sure where the performance issues are occurring.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    EDIT: Oops, I was certain I had said that I'm not on a crappy phone. Apparently I didn't, my bad.

* open New Forum Posts

I typically have more than 9 SMD tabs and then youtube in the background and don't experience any issues. My advice. Use new tab and only open the threads five at a time.

Reaction score
    Can you login with the green login button while on windows phone?

View attachment 24387

There is an option, I will most likely remove the long list of sub-links from the home area to make it more visible.

This is most likely to do with the performance heavy ads displayed on SMD, not the actual site content. This has been the number one cause for delayed page loading time and resource usage. Taxation on browser performance has been reduced with this new theme, are you experiencing greater usage from SMD than before?
    My mobile resolution doesn't use the mobile layout:

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Nice man! Altho i do not have a phone on me atm, this still looks awesome!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Why do we need to double click all the links in the top bar? It's the main reason I use the old theme.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    win10 and chrome. I have to click once to get the drop down menu, rather than it being on hover, and then again to actually click it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461026011,1461025722][/DOUBLEPOST]I also have this at the top of all pages, it's like there's a maintenance popup with no actual message, also not there in the old theme.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    >Duke flat out ignored me

I'm not even remotely surprised

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    win10 and chrome. I have to click once to get the drop down menu, rather than it being on hover, and then again to actually click it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461026011,1461025722][/DOUBLEPOST]I also have this at the top of all pages, it's like there's a maintenance popup with no actual message, also not there in the old theme.
    That's the ad container, you've got adblocker on so it looks like it's odd. As for the navigation links taking a double click, that's not intended. I can't replicate it myself, so I'll try a few different things.

Can we get council election results now?
    (The forum and wiki are community-run websites, progress on both of these websites are not dependent on the status of Schine's web development team. I volunteer to do forum and wiki work in my free time.)

Now that we've mostly finished with the reconfiguration of web services, calani has been working on making the stats available. As far as I am aware, the stats display has just been finished and we're currently reviewing the final stats generation code as it was not written by anyone currently on the team. I'm not sure when the stats will be released, I do know the next stats will be available at the same time as the announcement of councillors. Definitely before the next election.

Reactions: Reilly Reese
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Will the logins ever be fixed where a day later it logs you out?

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Will the logins ever be fixed where a day later it logs you out?
    wat? that's not a broke thing. the registry de-authorizes you after a certain amount of time incase of password change. SMD doesn't control logins.