MMO (massive multiplayer online)

Reaction score
    I was thinking while i was playing star trek online, what if star made was a massive MMO. It would be amazing factions claiming massive parts of space, and are trying to take over the gaxley, collecting resorces building an empire with your friends, it would be so cool to be standing inside of your space station watching a map of the gaxley as your borders expand, or massive wars breaking out. Peopleing warping in and destroying every thing. That would make this game amazing. Of corse it would require alot of work from the makers, but that would make this game the unlimited space game.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://star-made.org/content/repair-bay

Something that preserves planets from planet eaters (give something to actually conquer).

I think this will not happen before ships are more than just nacked power+thrust+amc because hull and deko add so much weight.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Not exactly what you are talking about, but last night I was thinking it would be cool if starmade servers were linked to each other. Maybe each server in the linkup gets a quadrant of space, or have warpgates that move you into the other server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That way you could get easy money on servers like NASS and go to servers on where money is harder to find

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Which is quite an awful idea, no offense, because that would make all servers the same... if money is hard to get, I am pretty sure it was meant to be.

And to the OP, you do know that there is multiplayer right? And a lot of factions that fight each other... aka starmade is an multi and single player game. Not quite sure what you are suggesting if you know this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If that were to happen, it wouldnt be most likely in the near future

Reaction score
    This is already implemented. I dont know if youve ever been on one of the big servers but its pretty much exactly what you described. Its kind of like minecraft servers. There are small servers with 10 to 20 people on or there are big servers with 200 people on them. Starmade is pretty much the same but its new enough that there arent 200 slot servers yet. Trust me, just wait a while and servers will be bigger. Especially if in the new update 1,024 ships can be spawned using only 300mb of ram.

Reaction score
    If server linking is done like guild wars dels it, then yeah. I could see that becoming a viable possibility

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Making this game an MMO is a massively bad idea. There\'s no current protection system, money is WAY to easy to get, and imagine what would happen to people just starting out? Ships obliterated on spawn, camping, stalking, it would be the end of this game.

On the other hand, the idea of linked servers is an interesting one. There would need to be a base server though. Each sub-server would be a 20x20x20 sector area on the base server, and only editable by people on that server. (Designated War Zones?) The main issue is that the base server would need to be about equivelent to one of google\'s server buildings knowing how many people play this game, and each sub-server would need to be online 24/7.

Reaction score
    Seeing as the game couldn\'t take that. Also, mmo is somewhat the wrong term to use. Starmade will never comped with eve as far as level of players. Similarly, it should not attempt to be as small scale as minecraft. I think that starmade will lean toward medium sized 1000 player is severe, allowing for large space battles as well as a large galaxy populated with players, all with their own jobs and aspersions. A real mmo has to b build from the ground up that way, and starmade clearly wasn\'t.

Reaction score
    I understand what your saying, also i played the demo of eve, and i got lost in the middle of it XD.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah that sounds a bit more realistic, I thought by mmo it meant a full out massive server like WOW

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    PvP is an agreement between two players. It should not need a server to fight in a (double) virtual environment with blueprints from what you\'ve build following certain rules - like limits on several aspects like power/weight/jammer/cloaker specific block category limits...

And additionally you should be able to visit another server as a \"hologram-ghost\" after invitation - nothing given, nothing taken.

Every action (or build) you make has to be confirmed by the host-player.