MisterVec's Super-Easy FTL Drive

Reaction score
    Not sure if this has been proposed because I am disinclined to wade through all of the existing topics on this.

Here is my simple proposal. It uses existing game mechanics and shouldn't be too hard to implement, I think from a programming perspective.

Requirements:

An FTL drive block and accompanying UI element to use a trigger and a data input respectively. Data input is simple, requiring only sector coordinates. UI elements can be a new UI panel entirely or simply a "warp" button of some sort on the existing navigation panel.

Functionality:

By attaching an FTL drive block to a ship, the player can access the FTL UI elements. The player will manually input a set of co-ordinates and activate the FTL drive. Activation of the FTL drive warps the player to the center of the designated sector.

For balance reasons, it seems necessary to make certain that the drive is not instantaneous, nor is it unlimited in range. To that end, I suggest three mechanical limitations on use.

The first limitation is to require it to "spin up" before warping the ship over to the inputted co-ordinates. Ideally, this start at something like half the time to manually fly out that far and becoming more time-efficient the further out one goes. Tentatively, something like 10 seconds for the first sector, 15 for two, 18 for three, and so on, until you reach a point where it's 1 second for each additional sector.

The second limitation is that it requires a certain amount of power be diverted to it every second that it is spooling up, say 10x the ship's mass. The idea is simply to give attacking players a way to disable a defending player's FTL ability, either by severly damaging its power grid or by using power drain beams

The third limitation is less certain and is intended to limit the potential range of the FTL drive. Either by limiting its use to sectors that have already been explored or by limiting its range based on some sort of power storage/mass ratio.

The point of the FTL system is to remove some amount of tedium from moving back and forth to familiar places rather than to act as a lazy method of exploring new areas. This methodology is also easy to adapt to new waypointing schemes, I hope, simply by replacing the manually input coordinates with a list of player-placed nav becons or whatever system you choose to go with.

I hope that makes sense and wasn't a huge wast of anyone's time.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Honestly, that\'s how I\'ve imagined how an FTL drive in starmade would work.

A fourth limitation should be that the ships power regen is disabled for a certain amount of time after the jump.

Reaction score
    I think this is a great idea and should be added to the game.

Reaction score
    Regardless, This is a feasable way to do this. Regardless of the potential for satire in the body of this suggestion.

Reaction score
    If I inteded satire, I would have demanded convoluted, poorly-thought-out systems, and radical engine overhauls. I honestly believe my suggestion is doable with out being too fussy.

Reaction score
    1 problem, sectors which include planets have them in the middle of it. We can\'t have warps at least aim to the middle of the sectors, and even if not, they could end up inside asteroids or stations.

That just brings more complication to the subject, of which i don\'t know how to solve. How about placeable warp signatures to sector, that act as targets to warp. No signature, can\'t warp. This wouldn\'t be a block (the point is to avoid collision) but just invisible point. Same way we create station by hitting M some point in space, we could create a signature.
    (I guess the signature could also be activated for faction, allowing multiple signatures per sector. Other factions signatures couldn\'t be used or modified.)

Other option is of course stargates, which brings its own issues.

Reaction score
    The game engine doesn\'t spawn new entities inside of existing entities. A bit of a tweak may be required with the spawning algorthim that checks to see if a planet entity is present in the sector and, if so, moves the spawn location for the warping vessel to a point outside of the planet\'s gravity well, but as it stands, it already wont\' spawn ships inside of an existing structure or entity.

Reaction score
    But warping in onto the surface of the planet would be funny! Like a failed attempt at what they did in that one Star Trek movie before the latest one where they warped into Titan\'s atmosphere.

It\'d be a silly little surprise to put in the wrong coordinates and suddenly be flopping around on the surface of a planet like a fish out of water.

Reaction score
    If you treat it as spawning. I understood that the ship moves to the location as it warps, but maybe not loading any real sectors as it goes. That might work too.

Reaction score
    Well, if it works out, i see no reason not to have a percentile role for planet crash-landings or having a pirate fleet spawn nearby and start attacking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    unnoticed under the recent deluge of physics-crippling non-ideas and pop culture references.

In short, the best way to balance this is to only allow warping to places that have already been explored. Add a warp beacon to be placed on stationary structures, a warp disc that can be formatted with its coordinates, and a warp computer to be installed on a ship and loaded with this disc. While the pilot has the warp computer selected, pointing towards the new navigation indicator for the destination charges up the reticule at a speed inversely proportional to the ship\'s mass and distance from target. Warping brings down your power supply to zero and deals damage equal to your maximum shield capacity, so you\'re discouraged from warping into or out of combat.

I haven\'t the time to write out all the issues this fixes just now. Might come back and finish it up soon.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about decreasing charge time if you have additional FTL drive blocks?

Reaction score
    The point is to make it so that it\'s not a reliable way to get out of a fight. If you can up the efficiency or reduce your countdown, then what\'s the point? Someone can just slap on enough enahncers to but out immediately, which isn\'t fun in a multiplayer game, I think.

Reaction score
    Also good ideas

I\'d really like to see what Beatlebear thinks