Missiles useless (almost)

Reaction score
    I believe in the newest update the missiles have been nerfed too far to the point where they are almost useless. They fly slow as it is and with the massively reduced damage they do it is hard for them to do anything to an enemy ship.

If missiles are to be kept at putting tiny dents in planets instead of blowing huge chunks out of them can we atleast get a massive speed buff for the missiles so they are actually useful?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Missles were nerfed for a reason. Buffing speed to compensate would defeat the purpose of changing them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Buffing speed is all that is needed to make the missiles what they really are: Missiles!

At their current speed, you can hardly hit anything going at top speed on NASS. Big problem.

Missile speed could be relative to server max thrust speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Beyond missile spam to have them glitch through unbroken shields.. when have missiles been useful?

Reaction score
    Maybe to a Shield, sure, but I know how to deal MASSIVE damage with missiles, and a docked ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If the docked ship docks to a home station, they are also immune to damage. Just a side note.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Hey folks, I actually think the change in missiles is bugged right now. The total radius should remain unchanged, but the way it disperses that damage is changed. I suspect that it\'s calculating all the phases during phase 1 of the damage calculations, so the first layer/smallest radius is actually absorbing all 4 phases worth of damage.

Proof of this would be fewer blocks that survive damage in a smaller radius compared to the older damage calculations.

Hopefully we can get enough feedback to fix this and start the real testing.

Reaction score
    when you a frigate or fighter fighting another frigate or fighter you almost always moving making missiles implausible even though on almost any fight there are missiles meant to go fast for sir to air combat these things are like the high school science project missiles then NEED a speed and damage/AOE buff but to balance it a anti missile system for instance flares laser/minigun missile turrets but make them not 100% successfully

other wise there might as well not be missiles

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a ship designed around missiles with some guns as a minor part of it and now my main missile which is up to 1/3rd of the ships blocks does less damage than my guns WTF! The missile used to blow a whole big enough in a normal station that i could fly right through and now it can\'t even make a whole in the middle stem part of the station that\'s lowered from an actual 40 block radius to 4 block radius.

Reaction score
    Missiles need a speed buff, and AMCs need a damage (or at least DPS) debuff. Right now AMCs are way to overpowered compared to both defenses and other offense (missiles). AMCs should not be able to tear through hull nor shields as fast as they do.

Missile speed is pathetic though, it takes 1000 missiles to hit 50 m/sec and many servers run @ 75+. Missiles just simply can\'t hit moving targets in a reasonable time frame.

Missile damage can be shown here: http://reddit.com/comments/1jrxay

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why is this only for smaller crafts? My larger crafts never keep still in combat, do to so would be silly. I keep 150-250% thrust/mass ratio on larger crafts for a reason.

Reaction score
    I think he means they need a speed buff so they are faster than ships, but need something like flares or defensive cannons to shoot and destroy missiles in flight

Reaction score
    people complain about missiles being too small radius but they are like that to be more of a piercing weapon to get closer to the core with some amcs. Before they could make an entire ship dissapear. I do agree a speed buff is needed though, not as fast as a ship but close enough to it that if it isnt running it has a good chance of hitting. some people ask why some servers dont let mobs use missiles and it is because of the overpowered radius and damage they had. Id say have a 0.6 or 0.9 to 1 ratio for missile speed to ship speed set on a server so that people can run from them but they can also have a chance of being hit. also maybe they could use a slight damage boost but the radius seems to be good for a propper piercing style. Is people want big holes then just make missile arrays to compensate but either way if a server boosts their maximum speed to 75 or above then, for now, missiles are about as useful as the power supply beams

Reaction score
    Unguided rockets should be faster than the guided missiles, and all launchers need to be able to inherit the ships velocity when fired.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I suggest higher speeds for missiles and and adding point-defense lasers ... or another weapon, a beam that can deal less damage and you have a high chance of actually hitting missiles, combined with a turret and AI, you have yourself a point-defense system.

Reaction score
    Is there an obvious reason why, every time I select my guided missiles, the little targeting circle thing doesn\'t pop up? I\'m scrolling to the number and using hotkeys. Possible bug?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I like your second suggestion, but the first... eh. I\'d rather have the d1000\'s do very good damage but only 2/3\'s of the speed of homing missiles (SD-KB/BB\'s) when they\'re at a finished state. Homing missiles also need to have a shorter range so as to balance them and to classify the role of the d1000\'s, which in my opinion should be against stations and planets/planetary installments/turrets.

Reaction score
    THe SDBBs do that. You need to hit the number button on your keyboard to get them to work right.

Reaction score
    Current missiles vs guns:

Missiles: Long Range, Fast (depending on type), slow reload, blow huge holes in ships but will not cut them in two or get rid of them entirely.

Missile counters: ECM, point-defense missiles, and \"Phalanx\" style close is point-defense turret

Guns: Short Range, almost instant travel time, much faster reload, usualy used for anti-air (sci-fi equivalent is anti-fighter) used for breaching hulls and on much smaller boats