Missile lock-on vs ships covereed in turrets.

Reaction score
    I'm having a lot of trouble going against an enemy ship in PvP because I use a missile based weapon system. The opponents ship is almost impossible to lock on to from range because of all the turrets across his ship. Even if I disable turrets in nav, the missiles still lock on to turrets, help?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Missiles also deal damage to other entities near the impact point, simply aim at the turrets if required and take them all out.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Missiles also deal damage to other entities near the impact point, simply aim at the turrets if required and take them all out.
    no man you dont get it. he's saying he cant lock on to any of them because if the target even moves a bit, the weapon wants to start locking on to the new closest entity. this makes it very difficult to use lockon weapons against ships with turrets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm having a lot of trouble going against an enemy ship in PvP because I use a missile based weapon system. The opponents ship is almost impossible to lock on to from range because of all the turrets across his ship. Even if I disable turrets in nav, the missiles still lock on to turrets, help?
    Is there some reason that you cannot use missile turrets? Just use a single beam computer with no blocks. That way it will fire every 15 seconds or so. Or make one big ass heat seeker with a single missile computer and no modules.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Is there some reason that you cannot use missile turrets? Just use a single beam computer with no blocks. That way it will fire every 15 seconds or so. Or make one big ass heat seeker with a single missile computer and no modules.
    the usage of other computers slavelinked to the main weapon computer determines how the weapon setup functions. if you want a huge heat seeking missile, you can slavelink a damage pulse computer to a missile computer, then link a 1:1 ratio number of damage pulse blocks to the damage pulse computer

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    the usage of other computers slavelinked to the main weapon computer determines how the weapon setup functions. if you want a huge heat seeking missile, you can slavelink a damage pulse computer to a missile computer, then link a 1:1 ratio number of damage pulse blocks to the damage pulse computer
    Oh, I thought that just gave you a guided missile. I gathered his issue was being unable to lock on in time. I figured a heat seeker would naturally home in on the only available target which is his enemy and take no lock on time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Oh, I thought that just gave you a guided missile. I gathered his issue was being unable to lock on in time. I figured a heat seeker would naturally home in on the only available target which is his enemy and take no lock on time.
    nah hes talking about before the missile is even fired, you have to lock on to a target if you want it to seek that target. otherwise if you just fire it without a lock it will just fly straight.

Reaction score
    Sorry for the delay, had work. But yes Planr has it right.

Would that I could. Unfortunately, I'm taking on multiple ships (faction vs faction pvp). I couldn't get a good lock with my weapons in time and our faction paid dearly. And the lock I did get was on a turret, so minimal damage occurred to the enemy ship.

I've tried to use heat-seekers but they seem to aim at friendly ships even when everyone is factioned up. Are missiles just useless against turreted ships?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sorry for the delay, had work. But yes Planr has it right.

Would that I could. Unfortunately, I'm taking on multiple ships (faction vs faction pvp). I couldn't get a good lock with my weapons in time and our faction paid dearly. And the lock I did get was on a turret, so minimal damage occurred to the enemy ship.

I've tried to use heat-seekers but they seem to aim at friendly ships even when everyone is factioned up. Are missiles just useless against turreted ships?
    they arent useless if you have AI turrets using them. but yes locking on to enemy ships with turrets is hard. the whole deal of being unable to lock on to them even with turrets turned off in nav filter is probably a bug.

Reaction score
    they arent useless if you have AI turrets using them. but yes locking on to enemy ships with turrets is hard. the whole deal of being unable to lock on to them even with turrets turned off in nav filter is probably a bug.
    I'll have to run some tests then. How controllable are AI turrets? anyway to reliably make them target a specific ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'll have to run some tests then. How controllable are AI turrets? anyway to reliably make them target a specific ship?
    with turrets off in nav filter you can still target enemy ships for AI turrets with missile lockon, as long as the turret AI is set to fire on "selected target". just focus on the reticle of the enemy ship you want it fire at. be careful though, this setting for turrets will literally fire on any vessel you focus on, be it friend or foe. so use it very carefully.

edit: i reported this on the tracker. hope it helps.
    http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/1902

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have never seen missiles attempt to lock onto hidden entities before, be them hard docked or turrets.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I've had this issue as well. Very annoying. My solution would be to use long range cannons or beams with explosive on them to try and destroy the turrets.