Missile configs: Best of all worlds

Would you like to see this in-game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    So with all these different-themed ships out there it's hard to get a missile style that everyone likes. So here's a suggestion.
    You press
    "R" on your master missile computer then...

Reactions: MrTargareyan
    Reaction score
    So different visual effects for missiles? I can get behind that.

At the very least I'd like to see missile size be dictated by the damage it does. Same with beam weapons, since a massive dreadnaught armed with planet-cooking proton beams looks like it's firing uncooked spaghetti.

Reactions: Arkudo

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I voted no for these reasons:
    1. I think it would still be interesting to continue using effect and slave systems to modify weapon behavior. Otherwise the missile weapon system will be its own system type, and balancing and improvements to the main weapon systems (beams, cannons, pulses) will not translate to missiles, inevitably requiring extra effort by the devs.
    2. I would like to see the missile "style" effected by the missile effect.
    Examples: High-speed Dumb-fire: Missile turns into a plasma blast. Low-power missiles should continue to be a beacon, with a simple 1x1x1 hitbox. That makes smaller, multiple-missile launchers more viable to fly through point-defenses. (Warning: encourages missile shotguns! Not so good!) Normal (high-damage) and homing missiles should gain a regular missile model (client configurable?) that has the regular 5x5x5 hitbox.

Other thoughts:

On the subject of a missile model: I don't think it should be a model in the conventional sense. I think it should be a saved block template, so people can "build" their own missile models from all the blocks available in-game. Since the hitbox would not change, the model could be anything and any size, and the mechanics will remain the same. It would act bizarre for large missile "models", but then you could have a more detailed model, even if it looks like it should be more easily shoot-able than it really is.

Actually, now that I mention it, I think most in-game models should be scaled-down saved block templates. Inspired by someone's block-made rifle in a screenshot, I think it would be a great way to add great user-generated content to the game. By integrating scaling, you could build the rifle (or whatever model) as a ship with full blocks, then save it with an option for "automatic normalization", which takes the ship model (in this case, a giant rifle) and automatically "normalizes" it so that it fits down within a 1x1x1 block size. Helmets, armor, shards, chairs, desklamps, stairs, anything could be built with this system, and effectively wouldn't add anything but a relatively small ship template and associated scaling level to the game. I think that would be a huge way to save space while getting good detail on new content.

With that idea of normalization, maybe missile block templates could be "scaled" down to the appropriate hitbox size, so that a 30x30x10 missile "ship" would scale down to fit in the 1x1x1 size to fit the hitbox in the case of a low-power missile, or down into a 5x5x5 size to fit the hitbox in the case of more powerful missiles.

Reaction score
    While having the different slave and effect systems is interesting it doesn't make sense, why would you need a cannon to make a missile fire more quickly? I like the idea of being able to adjust the setting in the computer b/c it makes sense. This is not to say that we completely trash the idea of slave and effect computers, just the slave part. Having effect computers is nice Schema just needs to make the effects view-able. For example if you have exploding effect on a AMC then when the shot hits the other ship then you can see a very small explosion. This and add sound effects for them.[DOUBLEPOST=1411312922,1411312657][/DOUBLEPOST]While i like the idea of having different visual effects for missiles it might be better if then different effects actually meant something. ie. plasma missiles do something that normal missiles don't.

Reaction score
    I voted no for these reasons:
    1. I think it would still be interesting to continue using effect and slave systems to modify weapon behavior. Otherwise the missile weapon system will be its own system type, and balancing and improvements to the main weapon systems (beams, cannons, pulses) will not translate to missiles, inevitably requiring extra effort by the devs.
    2. I would like to see the missile "style" effected by the missile effect.
    Examples: High-speed Dumb-fire: Missile turns into a plasma blast. Low-power missiles should continue to be a beacon, with a simple 1x1x1 hitbox. That makes smaller, multiple-missile launchers more viable to fly through point-defenses. (Warning: encourages missile shotguns! Not so good!) Normal (high-damage) and homing missiles should gain a regular missile model (client configurable?) that has the regular 5x5x5 hitbox.

Other thoughts:

On the subject of a missile model: I don't think it should be a model in the conventional sense. I think it should be a saved block template, so people can "build" their own missile models from all the blocks available in-game. Since the hitbox would not change, the model could be anything and any size, and the mechanics will remain the same. It would act bizarre for large missile "models", but then you could have a more detailed model, even if it looks like it should be more easily shoot-able than it really is.

Actually, now that I mention it, I think most in-game models should be scaled-down saved block templates. Inspired by someone's block-made rifle in a screenshot, I think it would be a great way to add great user-generated content to the game. By integrating scaling, you could build the rifle (or whatever model) as a ship with full blocks, then save it with an option for "automatic normalization", which takes the ship model (in this case, a giant rifle) and automatically "normalizes" it so that it fits down within a 1x1x1 block size. Helmets, armor, shards, chairs, desklamps, stairs, anything could be built with this system, and effectively wouldn't add anything but a relatively small ship template and associated scaling level to the game. I think that would be a huge way to save space while getting good detail on new content.

With that idea of normalization, maybe missile block templates could be "scaled" down to the appropriate hitbox size, so that a 30x30x10 missile "ship" would scale down to fit in the 1x1x1 size to fit the hitbox in the case of a low-power missile, or down into a 5x5x5 size to fit the hitbox in the case of more powerful missiles.
    Do you mean that sniper rifle? That was made by me :D Kupu said you can make your own guns in the future and the icons will be block-generated. Hooray!
    But some people might want high speed dumb fire missiles to look like the current ones, or like a javelin rocket. Some might want plasma missiles that track. Currently, cannon colors are not affected by effects, are they? You can make any cannon whatever color you want, and not be limited to something like machine guns being white and artillery being red.
    For my suggestion the styles is completely just decoration, the hitboxes remain the same.
    I'll add a fourth "block" function to the styles menu when I get back from school. The reason I'm still including the other options is that you can't make them with blocks. Perhaps I'll change the "conventional" ones to blocks.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Completely dumb fire is dumb. Medium speed and low turn or not turn without lock is not so dumb.

I am not sure if I can agree on sliders...

Maybe turning should be turning / current-speed / reload.
    %DPS (0..100) & reload(long..short) <-instead-- damage & reload

Reaction score
    Completely dumb fire is dumb. Medium speed and low turn or not turn without lock is not so dumb.

I am not sure if I can agree on sliders...

Maybe turning should be turning / current-speed / reload.
    %DPS (0..100) & reload(short..long) <-instead-- damage & reload
    I'll try to edit that a bit when I come back.

Reaction score
    Whether or not any persons strategy is good is not the question. As for the sliders they you could only use up to 100% of the Setting allowance. That way there not op. One problem ppl might be thinking of is things like the shot-gun effect, that could simply be added as an effect computer, the more effect modules the more bullets from each shot.

Reaction score
    You know when you guys say no you could at the very least tell me why not.

Reaction score
    You know when you guys say no you could at the very least tell me why not.
    I think some people think the 'speed' tracking' etc is part of the suggestion. I'm not even sure it isn't.

I imagine many people would prefer that the look of a missile is affected by the effect modules applied to it. Personally I'd like to be able to choose, or at least have a nicer effect in general. A big glow sprite is pretty ugly after all.