Missile beam and AI

Reaction score
    I was currently designing a long range frigate and got a few question for myself about how the AI would interact with the missiles onboard. I'm wondering what's the actual max range missiles will travel before disapearing ?

In theory it's the max range so if i'm at the edge of the max range and fire with sideways beam missiles, it wouldn't hit, am i right ? Currently if i design my ship to be a AI ship it would stay at the max range, meaning that i would never hit unless the target come closer.

So in the current state of things am i forced to fire my missiles straight at the target if i want my ship to be AI controlled ?

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Regarding missiles; missile range is the total distance a missile will travel before de-spawning.

If when you say "IA" you really mean "AI" (artificial intelligence), then any AI controlled ships will probably miss with vertical/sideways missiles unless...

- The missiles are launched from turrets restricted to a forward firing angle with the missiles launching vertically or sideways
    - The main ship is designed with a 'primary' weapon that is less than the range of the turrets.

This will give the turret-launched missiles enough time to turn toward the targets.

This is something I will be experimenting with in the next few weeks.

Reaction score
    Regarding missiles; missile range is the total distance a missile will travel before de-spawning.

If when you say "IA" you really mean "AI" (artificial intelligence), then any AI controlled ships will probably miss with vertical/sideways missiles unless...

- The missiles are launched from turrets restricted to a forward firing angle with the missiles launching vertically or sideways
    - The main ship is designed with a 'primary' weapon that is less than the range of the turrets.

This will give the turret-launched missiles enough time to turn toward the targets.

This is something I will be experimenting with in the next few weeks.
    Yes, AI. Sorry i'm confusing with my own native language. Damit, even the title is wrong. :(

For the missiles, i was aiming to put it on the main hull, using fleet controlled fleet to use theses ships. Not on some turrets otherwise the problem would't be here because if the missiles are shot sideways they'll travel much longer than straight, simple geometry. In that case this mean that AI controlled ship using this kind of weapons are completely useless.

Then another question come in my mind. From what point AI take their measures to be in range or not ? Weapons barrel output or the core ? That's actually interesting, would a beam in the back of a long stick would still shoot even if the weapon is out of range but with the core in range ?

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    By turrets, I was thinking of large missile launchers with a firing arc restricted to vertical/side launch. On second thought turrets may not work if multiple enemies are in the area since they may try to track a target that is out of their rotation range. Over all, vertical/side launch might not be the best weapon choice for an AI fleet ship.

If by chance you're trying to get through enemy point defenses, try using what I call "particle flares"; small missile/cannon systems in a 1:1 ratio with multiple outputs They don't have the range of Missile/Beam systems but they fire fast with a projectile speed that rivals cannons. I have them equipped on all my ships and I find that they are often the first missiles targeted by enemy point defense; allowing my heavier missiles to break through.

To be honest, I've never tested the "stick" idea so I can't advise you on that butI've never heard such a thing negatively affect fleet ships though.

Time to experiment!

Also, don't worry about the language thing. You actually write better than most Americans. It's sad but most of our people suck at writing (and even speaking) in English properly. Imagine if they tried to write to you in your language. ;)

Reactions: Scypio
    Reaction score
    By turrets, I was thinking of large missile launchers with a firing arc restricted to vertical/side launch. On second thought turrets may not work if multiple enemies are in the area since they may try to track a target that is out of their rotation range. Over all, vertical/side launch might not be the best weapon choice for an AI fleet ship.

If by chance you're trying to get through enemy point defenses, try using what I call "particle flares"; small missile/cannon systems in a 1:1 ratio with multiple outputs They don't have the range of Missile/Beam systems but they fire fast with a projectile speed that rivals cannons. I have them equipped on all my ships and I find that they are often the first missiles targeted by enemy point defense; allowing my heavier missiles to break through.

To be honest, I've never tested the "stick" idea so I can't advise you on that butI've never heard such a thing negatively affect fleet ships though.

Time to experiment!

Also, don't worry about the language thing. You actually write better than most Americans. It's sad but most of our people suck at writing (and even speaking) in English properly. Imagine if they tried to write to you in your language. ;)
    With AI ... well, missiles are excellent, but AI can only use one weapon effectively (per ship; turrets can be different if they have the same lead distance). And if it isn't forward-firing, the AI's doomed. No two ways about it. The AI is pretty dumb right now. It works, to mess up your day if the pirates are bigger and badder than before, but honestly, beyond circling it's useless. So the ideal AI ship is actually a fast Missile/Beam ship with lots of decoys and outputs, little armor, and tons of speed and PDTs. Which is basically an MLRS in space, but bigger and potentially cooler looking. Or you go for the Space Katyusha, and throw tons of M/C aboard to flood PDTs, shields, hull, and the guy trapped in his own metal coffin with missiles.

I've just given myself a ship idea, lol.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    Do not worry it's the same everywhere. :p

Time to experiment!
    I cannot agree more than that, it will need a cupple of settings change to be easier to experiment with but theses questions are quite important, especially if you try to design ships for AI. I'll try a few test soon and see what i've got. I was just hoping someone would have already done this kind of things.

Reaction score
    Back from testing...

First, i found something interesting. By using a camera you can change the direction your weapons will shoot, i don't know if that's a bug or a feature but that's interesting to know that.

So back to the main topic, i was correct, AI in general take their measure from the core. Not the bobby, not the weapons barrel and will try to shoot even if the weapon barrel is too far from the target. Resulting in some derp moments. I won't talk about the long stick flying around the target practice and will just show some test with a turret.
    Tried later with the bobby at the back, same thing.

Then missiles will explode after reaching their max range, note that they won't explode exactly at their max range but a little more further.
    It doesn't look like the distance is always the same but well i got my answers. I need to think of a different way to build a torpedo AI ship.