Misc. Improvement Ideas

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Here's a list of minor (or not so much) improvements.

1. Allow linking multiple nodes to one for better fork redirection. It's annoying how a fork cuts into an interior or is more vulnerable without moving the end node into a potentially annoying position. It looks like multiple node groups can be used with multiple stabilizer groups.

2. Allow multiple thruster groups (at least 3 blocks apart?). Currently it's difficult to get a thruster group which makes a ship look good while being able to accelerate quickly enough. Reactor mobility chambers are useful for that but aren't always an option. Also who doesn't want stoves?

3. Add expensive chamber capacity buffers. To keep them from being op they could require a large amount of every ore/shard type to be created. Also a kind of limit could be applied. Maybe they could require stabilization or e/sec? Once placed the buffer (capacitor? tank? what should it be called?) adds a bit of reactor capacity.

I might add more.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Here's a list of minor (or not so much) improvements.

1. Allow linking multiple nodes to one for better fork redirection. It's annoying how a fork cuts into an interior or is more vulnerable without moving the end node into a potentially annoying position. It looks like multiple node groups can be used with multiple stabilizer groups.

2. Allow multiple thruster groups (at least 3 blocks apart?). Currently it's difficult to get a thruster group which makes a ship look good while being able to accelerate quickly enough. Reactor mobility chambers are useful for that but aren't always an option. Also who doesn't want stoves?

3. Add expensive chamber capacity buffers. To keep them from being op they could require a large amount of every ore/shard type to be created. Also a kind of limit could be applied. Maybe they could require stabilization or e/sec? Once placed the buffer (capacitor? tank? what should it be called?) adds a bit of reactor capacity.

I might add more.
    In response to 1: yes, those have been added. I'm glad the fix was done swiftly.

In response to 2: I personally don't know why thrusters are all lumped together into a single group regardless of location (likely because there is no effect in separating them and being able to separate them into limitless groups can lead to integrity exploits). I must say, however, that the fix for this will come in the future with further tweaks to integrity (I'm citing Lancake on this one). Currently the penalties for exposed sides are too harsh in smaller or more organic builds. The punishments also become very harsh once damage is taken and blocks are destroyed. Rescaling and restructuring of the number-crunching for integrity is definitely in order and very much needed.

In response to 3: at this point, I should probably stop repeating myself and let the devs eventually explain this to everyone, themselves. A lot of this revolves around balance. Chamber capacity is not necessarily meant to "limit" ships per se, but instead allow for specialization as opposed to everyone needing to create all-around monsters. It is much more interesting if Ship A is especially good at Task X and bad at Task Y, while Ship B is bad at Task X and good at Task Y than if Ship A and Ship B both did Tasks X, Y, and Z with maximum effectiveness. Think of it as player classes in an RPG. You have the long-range fighter, the defender, the striker, the healer, etc., which is much better than every player being all of these classes at once.

Reactions: Skwidz