Mirrors

• Thread starter Deleted member 392097
    • Start date
    D

Deleted member 392097

I think that mirrors would be a fun thing to have in the game, so that you could look at yourself and also deflect the heat of the stars if the mirrors are positioned on the outside of the ship. The mirrors would also be able to deflect lasers. But maybe the things that the mirror could deflect and do would be governed by the strength of that type of mirror that you bought.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I always support more decorative blocks, no matter what kind.

Reaction score
    I suspect mirrored surfaces would really impact performance. It may not seem so inside a ship, but stick one on the outside and it has a
    whole universe to calculate and reflect.

Of course, I am not denying the cool factor. And combined with jamming it could even work partially as a poor mans cloak.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Of course, I am not denying the cool factor. And combined with jamming it could even work partially as a poor mans cloak.
    I like this idea, but like you said it would probably impact performance negatively.
    Imagine a dreadnought with the hole outer hull in mirrors.

D

Deleted member 392097

I suspect mirrored surfaces would really impact performance. It may not seem so inside a ship, but stick one on the outside and it has a
    whole universe to calculate and reflect.

I am sure that there would be ways of making it so that it would not have such a great impact on performance. Like for instance you could have it so that on the outside of the ship the mirrors only reflect what is at a close proximity to them. Or you could have it so that like when you are near a star the heat which it emits damages your ship, the mirrors could also get really damaged if left on the outside of a ship. Thus people would be less likely to have the mirrors on the outside of a ship and if they did leave them there then they would shortly be reduced to nothing (you could say that this is due to what these special mirrors are made from - like some kind of easily damaged crystal with a low melting point).

Reaction score
    Perhaps shiny armored hull will be a thing someday?

Kupu said it is possible, but not a priority as it requires specular maps and they are either hard to make or resource intensive, I forgot.