Mining facilities, an alternative to mining beams

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi everyone

My idea is a generalisation of an idea almost everyone has:

Tldr: have mining facilities you can build on celestial bodies (planet, asteroid, stars) that are slower than mining beam but gather more resources

The idea is inspired by many suggestions made on the forum and the minecraft mod immersive engineering. It is a mining system totally independent of the one we currently have. Each celestial bodies (asteroid, planet) has abstract values representing it's composition.

Let's take the example of a larimar asteroid. All figures are not representative, they are just an illustration.
    let say it has 5 rammet ore and 4 sertise ore. by scanning the asteroid you can obtain its composition. It is composed of 20 rammet and 16 sertise.

you have 2 choices:
    • the only one we currently have: strip mine the asteroid to rapidly obtain the 5 rammet and the 4 sertise
    • build a mining facility on the asteroid that will obtain the 20 rammet and 16 sertise then when it is depleted dismantle your facility and beam mine the asteroid to obtain the 5 rammet and 4 sertise

the system would be the same for other celestial bodies:
    • planet could have a replenish rate so if you don't mine too much you have renewable resources and if the planet is depleted it explodes.
    • star depending on their type could also have type of resources in an insane amount, who doesn't want a star forge (if heat shield become a reality and star becomes a tangible entity)
    A basic mining facility would be constituted of a drill computer/module system (maybe it could be a new function of the current mining system) and the power and the cargo to store the resources gathered.

A possible addition could be an efficiency rate. getting back to the larimar example, an unmanned mining facility could have a yield of 60% so you would obtain 12 rammet and 9 sertise while a mining facility managed by a player/npc (ie the player/npc interact with the drill computer) would have a yield of 100%

This system could help achieve the heterogeneous resources repartition the universe update must bring. What your opinion on this proposition ? do you see ways to improve it ?