Mines,Mines,Mines (Mine dispenser for ships)

What do you think?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    (Notice: mines are confirmed but not much has been talked about how they are placed so this is still a valid post)

Simple idea, have a mine dispenser that can of course dispense mines as you go through a sector you can start the mine dispenser and it will place a mine every couple of seconds.

For balance mines could be expensive so we don't have to be avoiding mines everywhere we go also maybe have mines ignore shields so they are a threat for bigger ships or have them less expensive but shields defend against them. I think the second option might be the best because then the mines sole job is to slow down ships rather than completely destroy them (because if mines are too powerful there will be big complaints,and no one likes dying to mines).

I think this would be better than the mines you might have seen that are made by ridik_ulass as they can be bought and placed very quickly and are annoying to clean up, while these mines you would actually have to go up and down with a mine placing ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    mine fields could be used to block people in, rather then in strategic bottle necks.

currently mines can be blueprints placed on a drone ship, and dumped en masse which is fine because all the docking shit requires work.

If mines come in as you suggest, they should have maybe a 3 day life span, and a permanent minefield should require maintenance, people replacing or fixing the minefield can be attacked. making the work slow and hard being in a natural inherit balancing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Your asking to litter a sector or more of space with hundreds of physics objects. That is just a bad idea no matter how small they are. The standing way to do what you want to do is to build/claim a station in a sector and just make the mines as part of the station. Just build pillars out X distance from the centre of the field, makes some mines, delete pillars. Rinse and repeat from the mines you just made moving out wards. This gives you a single large but static object for mine field. Alternatively you could just make one massive field as a single ship. Spawn the ship at the nearest shop and fly it to were you need to set it. The station solution works better because it can't be cored, even if you flip the faction block you still have a field full of mines that have to be deleted or destroyed.

Reactions: DarthHonky

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It's already happening, guys.

Mine layers are a planned feature. >_>

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's already happening, guys.

Mine layers are a planned feature. >_>
    I found that out about 2 mins after posting this but Bearish won't remove it as he see's no reason (probably because there has been no information on how mines are dispensed).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your asking to litter a sector or more of space with hundreds of physics objects. That is just a bad idea no matter how small they are. The standing way to do what you want to do is to build/claim a station in a sector and just make the mines as part of the station. Just build pillars out X distance from the centre of the field, makes some mines, delete pillars. Rinse and repeat from the mines you just made moving out wards. This gives you a single large but static object for mine field. Alternatively you could just make one massive field as a single ship. Spawn the ship at the nearest shop and fly it to were you need to set it. The station solution works better because it can't be cored, even if you flip the faction block you still have a field full of mines that have to be deleted or destroyed.
    Please read the original post. I said as a balance you could make them very expensive.

Reaction score
    I found that out about 2 mins after posting this but Bearish won't remove it as he see's no reason (probably because there has been no information on how mines are dispensed).
    Most likely if not using some kind of projectile like missiles (in which case it would just be missiles that only fly a bit before sitting still until a target comes nearby), then using the ship part beakoff (and replacement for warping things out) system Schema mentioned in the recent Q&A and spawning a bunch of connected explosive blocks. Basically, a section of connected blocks inside other blocks or broken off from a ship will stop having collision and move away, only regaining collision once it's a certain distance away. I suspect though it will just use a projectile, since you need a lot of explosives to take out a reasonably-shielded ship and spawning a bunch of little ship parts is probably too costly in performance.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    simply neglecting a suggestion due to performance constraints is not the right way to go.

Reaction score
    simply neglecting a suggestion due to performance constraints is not the right way to go.
    There are a lot of things that won't be implemented for performance reasons. Scalability is a huge deal. The most common reason a suggestion can't be done is that would increase the number of bytes used per block (currently 3).