Microtransaction Idea: Community Store

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I could literally talk all day about how this is a bad idea, but instead I'll just say: A path to the dark side greed is.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    no just no i understand that people work on ships for a long time but to charge for them it's a bad idea remember what happened when steam introduced paid modding for skyrim remember the uproar starmade does not need that there should be no micro transactions at all if you ask me they just annoy people

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just want to stop and point out here that they are already talking about microtransactions:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/global-skins.20865/

Paying for extra skin slots.

They already have "give me free money for not doing anything extra" on their minds, this thread was a "Hold on, lets at least find a way to channel it into something more constructive" response to that.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I just want to stop and point out here that they are already talking about microtransactions:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/global-skins.20865/

Paying for extra skin slots.

They already have "give me free money for not doing anything extra" on their minds, this thread was a "Hold on, lets at least find a way to channel it into something more constructive" response to that.
    They asked, there was a resounding no in that thread aswell.

This would be even worse. This isn't a vanity thing, this is you trying to make some cash on the side by selling BP's. Except it really would not work because it's to easy to bypass.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    They asked, there was a resounding no in that thread aswell.
    If they've got that bug in their ear, they're not going to just abandon it completely because people didn't like that one idea.

They'll keep going until they find one that sticks or say "Screw it, we're doing it anyway". I'd rather see people providing options than just constantly shooting everything down.

What kind of microtransactions would you approve of then? Given that "None" is not a valid answer?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    As far as I can tell, they suggested the payment for more than 3 skins was simply to cover the cost of the hosting of the skin files, rather than them needing more money.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    "microtransaction"

Enough of a negative comment has been made.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    As far as I can tell, they suggested the payment for more than 3 skins was simply to cover the cost of the hosting of the skin files, rather than them needing more money.
    Exactly this. Starmade so far is not tight on cash as far as I can tell. In fact with all the humble bundle steam sales from earlier in the year, starmade has grown in popularity on steam and more than likely has earned a lot of money. The idea for paying for skin slots comes from the fact that it would be very expensive to hold that much data within servers around the world and the bandwidth it would take to transmit said data. So 3 skins slots would come free because Starmade got cash yo. But there also needs to be budget focus on the actual game itself. So having more than 3 slots per player starts to look expensive.

The idea was presented to the community in a form of a question. Asking if the community would be fine to have players cover the costs of their individual skins that exceed the 3 free skins limit. The majority of responses was no, and there for its assumed that everyone will receive their 3 free slots and then no more. The "Skin Micro transaction" would only solve the issue of expensive data storage of skins. The blueprint micro transaction idea solves no problems at all cause there are no problems with blueprint management system, currently.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The blueprint micro transaction idea solves no problems at all cause there are no problems with blueprint management system, currently.
    Depends. The files do take up space in the community-content section. But the dock isn't operated by Schine directly, so technically that is not Schine's problem. But as for clientside blueprints being uploaded to the specific server the player plays on, there are no cost issues with that.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    "Boohoo, why should people be able to earn money for their work?"

I think this is a great idea. Have a max price available based on block count or something, but allow people to set their sell price to anything beneath that, including a price of "free." It'll allow people to get rewarded for their work on blueprints. Plus, it'll give Schine a constant stream of income beyond game purchases. They could actually hire coders, artists, musicians and sound creators, etc, instead of needing to use part-time and unpaid workers.

I like the idea of checking a server owned by Schine and putting some meta-data on the ship to prevent people from saving/copying it to reduce make stealing things harder. As others said, you don't need to make it unstealable, just a pain to do it. You'd pretty much need to copy it by hand if it was like that.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443138667,1443135128][/DOUBLEPOST]Had some more thoughts. Someone was making a web blueprint viewer a while back, right? Have something like that, as well as a way to view what blocks make it up, to prevent people from trying to do things like jack up their price by having a massive blob of open doors hiding somewhere floating by the ship to increase the max price limit.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    "Boohoo, why should people be able to earn money for their work?"

I think this is a great idea. Have a max price available based on block count or something, but allow people to set their sell price to anything beneath that, including a price of "free." It'll allow people to get rewarded for their work on blueprints. Plus, it'll give Schine a constant stream of income beyond game purchases. They could actually hire coders, artists, musicians and sound creators, etc, instead of needing to use part-time and unpaid workers.

I like the idea of checking a server owned by Schine and putting some meta-data on the ship to prevent people from saving/copying it to reduce make stealing things harder. As others said, you don't need to make it unstealable, just a pain to do it. You'd pretty much need to copy it by hand if it was like that.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443138667,1443135128][/DOUBLEPOST]Had some more thoughts. Someone was making a web blueprint viewer a while back, right? Have something like that, as well as a way to view what blocks make it up, to prevent people from trying to do things like jack up their price by having a massive blob of open doors hiding somewhere floating by the ship to increase the max price limit.
    I´d rather have some dlc which enhances the finished game than this. Maybe a package of additional content like more PvE events, more missions, special npc factions, more boss fights, horde mode, etc..

Just thinking about this "selling blueprints-thing" makes me really angry and gives me the urge to punch some faces even if i´ve never downloaded one. Don´t ask me why, it just hits a nerve.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I´d rather have some dlc which enhances the finished game than this. Maybe a package of additional content like more PvE events, more missions, special npc factions, more boss fights, horde mode, etc..

Just thinking about this "selling blueprints-thing" makes me really angry and gives me the urge to punch some faces even if i´ve never downloaded one. Don´t ask me why, it just hits a nerve.
    It's not even Schine selling blueprints, though. It's people selling stuff they made in Starmade, with Schine getting a portion of the profits. What's wrong with people selling things they made themselves? That's like getting angry at people for selling art they made with a painting program.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's not even Schine selling blueprints, though. It's people selling stuff they made in Starmade, with Schine getting a portion of the profits. What's wrong with people selling things they made themselves? That's like getting angry at people for selling art they made with a painting program.
    Because the basis of the game is building ships. Implementing this would be throttling one of the biggest mechanics out there. And I don't see any reason why we should be catering to Edymnion's selfishness. These are the kinds of micro-transactions I have a problem with because it directly affects gameplay. "But people can set their blueprints to free" No one is going to fucking do that, if the option to earn money is there then they'll take it. Take a look at the paid mods fiasco that happened a while ago, you saw the shit that went on there, and that's mods, being forced to pay for something small that ADDS VALUE to a game was a serious problem, and created the greatest uproar of all time. LORD GABEN'S POSITION AS PC GOD WAS THREATENED! This is significantly worse as building ships are a direct product of the game, building ships is a massive part of the game and this is essentially fucking it in the asshole.

"But what about CS:GO skins and such?" They're aesthetic skins created by the community which is placed on a market for players who own it to sell. They don't directly affect gameplay, and the people who buy them can resell, which creates a small economy and makes trading a significant thing. TF2 items work because they're made by the community, can be resold, add more value to game (more content) and aren't a direct product of the gameplay.

Overall, the easiest way to say this is, fuck off, just because it works for other games doesn't mean it works for this.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Because the basis of the game is building ships. Implementing this would be throttling one of the biggest mechanics out there.
    How does this prevent players from building ships? If anything, this would encourage people to build more ships of their own, because there'd be less variety of ship to just download.

"But people can set their blueprints to free" No one is going to fucking do that, if the option to earn money is there then they'll take it.
    Evidence disagrees. There will always be people putting up things for free, either to promote their paid work or just because they want to share something with the community without wanting paid for it. Free mods didn't vanish when Steam Paid Mods became a thing, people in real life still give people things for free.

hey're aesthetic skins created by the community which is placed on a market for players who own it to sell.
    ...And different ship hulls aren't "aesthetic skins?" What's the difference between a 100k block ship with 20 million armor that's a grey rectangle and a 100k block ship with 20 million armor that has actual hull work put into it? Nothing. It's solely aesthetic.