Read by Schine Micro Astronaut Turrets

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ever tried to make a vehicle with small turrets?

Yeah, that doesn't really work.

What I'd like to suggest are small, one block turrets, that use handheld astronaut weapons. Visually, they'd be a quarter block that looked similar to the turret dock, with the small turret sitting on top. The turret bit itself is actually a small entity.
    The turret, as stated, uses astronaut weapons. It will use the first astronaut weapon (laser pistol/beam sniper/rocket launcher) in a linked cargo container. The look of the turret varies depending on the weapon installed, with an MG look for the pistol, a beam cannon for the sniper, and a large rocket tube for the launcher. Additionally, different hull blocks could be placed in the storage to give it a matching hull texture, and light emitting blocks could change the projectile color.
    The weapons get some buffs when used in a turret. The laser pistol does twice as much damage, and has a higher projectile velocity and range. The sniper gets increased damage and better range. The rocket gets doubled damage, range, velocity, and lock-on.

Now, this stuff might sound slightly OP, given how it's one block that's stronger than quite a few standard weapon blocks. The balancing factor? AI can't use it. Only players (and maybe, depending on how they work, NPCs) can operate the turrets. This would allow for small, usable turrets to place on ground vehicles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would also be good for interior anti-boarding turrets.
    Since hand-held weapons will be craftable, I'm not sure there needs to be any buffs associated with it. Just craft specific 'mountable' weapons. You could also then craft them with/with out AI control, appearance, and proper projectile color. No cargo block needed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You could also then craft them with/with out AI control, appearance, and proper projectile color. No cargo block needed.
    I don't think they should be AI controllable. Not until we get crew, anyway. A weapon of that strength for a tiny block count would be OP if it didn't need a player/crew to operate. Unless you give it the power costs that a weapon like that would have if it was normal blocks, in which case, people using the turrets for ground vehicles are going to be very sad.

Reaction score
    I dont care for the buffs and the idea of making it only player controlled. At that point you might as well just pull out your pistol and do it yourself. One of the main points of turrets is to automate defenses/offenses. So if this idea was for micro turrets to use regular weapons using a ai I am all for it. Otherwise I am not for it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Like I said, you could craft the AI Interface into the weapon. This does not mean that said interface would be cheap or easy to make. Perhaps you will have to give up some damage or range to fit the AI-I into the weapon schematic.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I dont care for the buffs and the idea of making it only player controlled. At that point you might as well just pull out your pistol and do it yourself. One of the main points of turrets is to automate defenses/offenses. So if this idea was for micro turrets to use regular weapons using a ai I am all for it. Otherwise I am not for it.
    The point of the buffs is specifically so it's a better option to use a turret on your vehicle than just stand on top with a laser pistol. The reason it can't be AI operated is because otherwise it would be incredibly powerful for its block count.

Reaction score
    I can't really see a downside to this. They could even use a similar level of detail system to what chairs will use, if it transfers over, to help with any potential performance hits large numbers of them would cause. And for balance I don't see it being too big a deal, since even if they fit into a smaller space than regular turrets they still have the disadvantage of not being scalable.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I would say this isn't out of the question. It is clear that turrets are designed for ship combat, not astronaut combat. With the addition of new weapons models for the player character, having mounted weapons like this for smaller targets is something we can discuss. I will bring this to the art team.

Reactions: Lecic