Metropolis planet! Ideas & Pics

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was exploring planets and came across an earth-ish one with a small downtown in the center. It looked pretty silly being that there was about 20 skyskrapers and then it cuts off into the regular green plains/forest biome with no suburbs. So I thought to myself what if the planet was an entire city? It wouldn't look so silly and would be pretty fun to explore.

I am currently building my own right here (community project) --> http://star-made.org/content/metroplanetis-giant-metropolis-city-planet

Heres a list of things I'd LOVE to see:

• Stargates (they are a planed feature so why not for such an advanced civilization)
    • Docking areas on roofs & at the edge of the planet where the gravety well ends.
    • Biome hemisphere domes (to preserve what the planet use to be) or parks (like central park, NYC)
    • Industrial poluted atmosphere or a clean enviromental city with clean air (or both)
    • Hidden loot scatterd throughout the city
    • Built in shop

Pros:

• Influences GREATLY for ground battles
    • Makes land vehicals useful do to the size & flatness
    • Makes the planet more viable for use instead of just big space stations near shops
    • Great for roleplaying
    • Looks epic

Cons:

• Maybe too unbalenced in the future for player use (game gets too easy... Might have a settings to turn it off?)
    • A ton of work for the developer team ._.
    • Lag?

Here are some Images for inpiration. First one being what I came across on StarMade

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The 2nd strongly reminds me of 5th element , a city like that would be awesome,

how big? what shape?

deus ex: HR, hengshai city style?

http://www.sosgamers.com/wp-content/gallery/deus-ex-human-revolution/deus-ex-human-revolution-010.jpg

Reaction score
    Planets need a buff in size as well, in my opinion. They are only about the size of what the game\'s moons should be. 450m across for the WHOLE planet... we already HAVE real life naval ships that big. Just about the time you get something cool plannet out on a planet, you realize that you\'ve actually dwarfed the planet.

Perhaps make them at least a few kilometers, so players have a reason to mine+explore+build on a planet?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with this, not only would this be cool, but it would also open up a lot of doorways into other additional things for starmade in the future.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    and i\'m just sitting here wishing for smaller planets so my fps won\'t go down to 1 the minute I enter the atmosphere.

Reaction score
    To be fair, there must be something wrong/leaking with how planets are rendered. I mean, in MineCraft, my computer can render to very sizeable distance with all the nice settings on. In StarMade, a measly 450m planet roughly halves my FPS.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why use land crafts and not just space crafts which have enough thrust to resist gravity?

Reaction score
    A friend and I on our server are currently making a planet into \"Coruscant\" (planet-wide city from Star Wars, I think it may be the 6th picture in the OP), and it is very challenging trying to fill even the planet that is there. We\'ve done some creative things with hull pieces to make furniture for apartments, but building entire planets (hopefully with some serious height to them, a la Coruscant) takes a TON of work.

I was hoping to make a highway going through the planet and just make ships that have enough thrust to move horizontally, but not enough to break the gravity. I couldn\'t find a balance point for the mass where that would work, but I was also trying to keep the vehicles under 5x5x4. We settled on making small airspeeders (I think they\'re 3 wide by 5 long by 2 high) that would be able to fit onto upgrade-less docking modules. It would be great to have ground vehicles that would have no vertical thrust.

On the topic of road building, I discovered that vehicles can\'t really do the 45 degree ramp thing. It would be really cool if we could get a block that would be like 2 blocks long, but having the ramp slope across the two. I think that\'s a 22.5, so by the end of the first block it would only be halfway up the block, and the second block it would reach the top, but preferably placed as one piece, the way wedges are done now. This would also make for some better options with starship design. I know the main complaint on X-wing builds is that the wing angle can\'t be done to look right.

And while we\'re at it, small arms fire (and aliens/monsters/NPCs on planets) would be really awesome for city building.

TL;DR: Cities are a ton of work. Ground vehicles. Longer, angled 22.5* wedges. Small arms and monsters.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Idk. Ask schema. Its his idea to implemet them. Im just going with adding it to my idea :3.
    I would guess that they are cheaper and maybe not need anything but tracks and power?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Bumpedy. Turned this into a project --> http://star-made.org/content/metroplanetis-giant-metropolis-city-planet