Message Block for Logic Systems

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was fleshing out ideas for a cargo bay using the new rail systems (which I'm really enjoying) and I decided to use a system that doesn't utilize plex/blast doors. Instead, I want to use hulls and rails to have animated docking bay doors.

I then decided that I don't want these doors to open from the outside if there is a ship docked. Instead, the docked ship will have to open the doors from the inside.

All of this was accomplished with ease. The problem I perceive myself to have now, though, is that when a ship attempts to open a docking bay that is occupied, the door doesn't open and they are not informed of why. I think that a simple pm of "Docking bay occupied." would suffice.

So, I'd like to see a logic block that can send a PM on activation to whichever player activated it. I think that 150 characters would be enough for most situations, or perhaps a drop-down list of prompts that are hard coded (to prevent insults/profanity/etc.)

It would need a way to trace logic systems to the player/ship that activated it (which I understand is a very difficult thing to accomplish with the logic system as it is), or broadcast on a particular channel or in a particular radius. They would need a delay to prevent a single entity from sending too many messages in too short a time.

If I had complete freedom of design:
    You approach a space station/entity that uses communication modules and are prompted with a HUD message: "Local Communications Broadcast Channel: [Entity Name]" You can ignore the channel (default) and you automatically ignore broadcasts from the entity/station. If you accept it, you receive broadcasts from the station's communication modules in the chat window - color coded to show they are automated. This makes use of the new chat system channels, and would also allow for an entity (faction base) to announce warnings or messages to nearby players.

This would also allow for hacking the communication channels of opposing groups, to jam them, eaves drop, or send false messages.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    I'm no coder but this sounds like an easy-to-add feature. Would be great for structure-wide ambiance too. Like X3's random station intercom announcements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I came up with an idea of abusing this system: having multiple entities that broadcast to the same channel. This allows for spamming even though each entity is only allowed so many posts per minute.

So I think the better implementation might be to have a timer on the channel itself. Regardless of the entity or object, only X many posts per minute will be displayed on a Local Communications Broadcast Channel. This way there is an active discouragement to having multiple entities on the same channel (they compete for limited availability), and the only way to be spammed by broadcasts is to opt-in to multiple channels simultaneously.