Merging/Redirecting multiple beams into a single beam

Reaction score
    So this suggestion is mostly an aesthetic one,

Current beams are just straight beams, cant be curved, merged, reflected, merged etc unlike real light beams and those cool looking laser weapons in movies.

Example of what I mean by combining beams

Here the individual beams merge at a central point before firing as a single combined more powerful beam

But that doesn't look very elegant, here is the the warpray from starcraft 2 beta attacking

Notice how the beams curve before merging? It looks pretty dope

So how to implement?

Assuming the current rendering engine can draw curved beams (which I think it can), all that needs to be done is a way to define the path taken by the beam from the weapon output and a way to define the output point where the final merged beam shoots out

This can be done through placing invisible blocks in build mode (similar to placing placeholder blocks in shipyard). These path defining blocks or nodes are then connected in desired order of desired path, the game then automatically draws smooth curves or straight lines between these nodes. Its like using the free transform tool in Photoshop

Drawing smooth or straight can be toggled using on/off on these blocks where if on, the segment between the on-ed block and the next block will be straight and if off, it will be curved. This allows for maximum customization

To reduce lag and complexity of implementation, all beams before the actual final output will be purely aesthetic and wont interact like a weapon. Only the final output beam interacts normally like any normal beam does. This is simpler to implement as the weapon part simply needs a change in position of output whereas the redirecting part is just drawing lines.

The final output beam will have stats equal to the combined stats of the individual beams that constitute the final beam. Though may be prone to exploit such as putting effect on one beam and damage on the other to get both cheaply, this may be addressed by only combining raw stats like damage and period but only apply effects if all beams have that effect and the effect power is the lowest common denominator

Illustration of implementation:

Thanks for reading, leave any feedback below, feel free to give suggestions/improvements
    Hope this will be implemented as it will be really really cool and make beam ships look more authentic

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I doubt further complications in the weapons systems is what we need. There are enough exploits in the current weapons system as it is, without your proposal adding yet more ways of abusing systems.

That being said, the only reason to develop this could be for aesthetical quality, but I don't see this as an addition to starmade for at least next couple of years.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I can't think of any way this is exploitable, but also, it just seems kinda.... meh. I can live without it. Flak weapons first, converging beams later.

And what did you just say about the death star? Inelegant? I'll have you know that the deathstar designers graduated at the top of their class in the navy ARTISTS, and have over 300 confirmed paintings. Even as we speak, dozens of imperial arts and crafts experts are converging on your position. So get ready to have your house decorated you little shit.

Reactions: Lecic

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Found it for you:
    Make beam array
    "Bend" them forward 5 blocks
    Art your way past their 3 block thick armor.
    If you're that close, you may as well be using pulse, which bypasses blocks anyway IIRC. And if you made a really, really long beam converging array, then if anyone gets closer it becomes impossible to hit them. So yes, an exploit I suppose, but not a very good one.