Merge weapon blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Adjacent weapon blocks in square shape, it merge and become a larger version expanding the texture to fit and expanding the shoot animation.
    - Giant missiles, giant lasers, etc...
    Because even more bigger is better XD !

Example:
    1x1

2x2

4x4

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Like Space-Engineer's armour textures?

Multiple-Block-Textures have been discussed for quite some time.
    It will be a bit more difficult to not make it dependent on block-position but an array's side-face, and it could mess up some styles (using cannon-blocks for toilets close together)

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I kind of like this idea: bigger missiles = easier to hit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Like Space-Engineer's armour textures?

Multiple-Block-Textures have been discussed for quite some time.
    It will be a bit more difficult to not make it dependent on block-position but an array's side-face, and it could mess up some styles (using cannon-blocks for toilets close together)
    Like 1x1 blocks = 100% texture, 2x2 blocks = 25% 25%
    25% 25%
    the code will calc the X and Y pixels and calc what area will be used on each block, the visual effect is like a zoom in game
    [doublepost=1471130865,1471130789][/doublepost]
    I kind of like this idea: bigger missiles = easier to hit.
    Actually i'm just suggesting the visual effect, i think the physical is harder to code

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Actually i'm just suggesting the visual effect, i think the physical is harder to code
    Scaling in this kind of game is relatively simple. An algorithm to combine multiple blocks into one giant block is a little trickier, because of all the edge cases.

I suspect the following needs to happen first, before this suggestion will be workable:
    1. The devs will implement combining multiple display blocks in one rectangular group into one large display block. (They have already expressed interest in making this happen, because having a big-screen tv front and center on bridges is a popular scifi trope.)
    2. Crew "Quarters" will probably be prototyped, probably involving rectangular areas, either created from a player-defined rectangle, or an area defined by some sort of "quarters" control system, like a block. This will go a long way towards helping define rectangular areas, to combine blocks into scaled-up mega-blocks, similar to giant displays as mentioned in point 1. This will probably be done before combining display blocks.
    3. A huge discussion on how large rounds (beams, cannon shots, missiles) will work. I think it will be start out working exactly how it works right now, with the larger round having its tip where the current regular-sized round is and the rest following behind. It won't be as fun for a huge beam to make a tiny hole, but at this time, I think moving some of the damage amount to explosive effect would be the only solution that could make a large beam work as players would expect.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A problem I see with this is that scaling would kinda ruin the textures.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A problem I see with this is that scaling would kinda ruin the textures.
    Texture is relative, it can be changed by users, dev only need to help with support
    What he means is that the textures have a fixed resolution, and increasing their size doesn't make them sharper. Look at your example: your enlarged 4x4 texture looks blocky and low quality. This isn't CSI, we can't just enhance. That, and most people don't expose large bricks of weapons or thrusters anyway.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    What he means is that the textures have a fixed resolution, and increasing their size doesn't make them sharper. Look at your example: your enlarged 4x4 texture looks blocky and low quality. This isn't CSI, we can't just enhance. That, and most people don't expose large bricks of weapons or thrusters anyway.
    This game is already a cubic, i think quality of graphics isn't near the primary objective

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is a thread about a graphical change, but quality of graphics isn't the primary objective?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a thread about a graphical change, but quality of graphics isn't the primary objective?
    "graphic quality" isn't "especial effects", i'm talking about make a cool effects, you are talking about dpi for keep graphic quality of a game with cool effects and poor graphics.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    256x256 textures use 65536 pixels and 4 times as many –262'154– bytes.
    If you multiply that with 4000 block-IDs/files … you soon 1 GB ram usage which is not few.

Space-Engineers uses grey-scale, indexed or black-white 4x4-sized tiles to enhance individual blocks to reduce "the size of graphics".
    With 2 indexed colours, you save 8x (4x2) data and can do a military pattern of primary/secondary colours on a surface or draw "charged circuit" blocks.

But for bigger sizes, you need scalable-vector-graphics (SVG-files).

Reaction score
    this would be Awesome for thrusters

i have seen some cool decorative engines but i also like the Effect the raw thruster blocks have. i wish it would scale up.