Recognized Mercenary NPC faction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    With the fleet update approaching and changes to NPCs coming, I thought it would be a good idea to have mercenaries.

The mercenary faction would have several heavily armed stations dotted around the galaxy.

Their stations would function similarly to shops; pressing B would open a GUI which would allow you to buy out certain ships for a period of time with credits. On multiplayer, these ships and prices would be able to be configured by an admin. Ships would have stocks which would replenish overtime. Maybe the mercenary faction could attempt to capture enemy ships (e.g pirates) and bring it back to their station.

Once you buy a ship from the mercenaries, an AI mercenary ship friendly/owned by your faction spawns which can be added to a fleet, and so on. Perhaps there could be a 'piracy' mode where they attack cargo fleets for you. After the period of time you hired the ship for is over, the ship would despawn.

Alternatively, you could have the ship revert to the mercenary faction and have it fly back to its station. Attacking a ship owned by the mercenary faction would detoriate relations with them, sometimes to the point of war. When at war with the mercenary faction, you can not hire ships from them and they will send heavily armed fleets to eliminate you.

You could also hire mercenary crew but they will have a much lower base loyalty and would be therefore much more likely to mutiny. If a mercenary mutiny occurs and succeeds then they will convert your ship to the mercenary faction and try to fly it to the nearest mercenary station where it would be added to the list of ships available to hire.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I've heard there being something about a mercenary faction being planned. Perhaps there could be a list of tasks you could hire them to do for credits?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I wanted to give this thread the
    tag.
    But you have few things in that suggestion that are beyond my "clearence" or knowledge for discussing.
    But a lot of this is pretty much planned

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    With the fleet update approaching and changes to NPCs coming, I thought it would be a good idea to have mercenaries.

The mercenary faction would have several heavily armed stations dotted around the galaxy.

Their stations would function similarly to shops; pressing B would open a GUI which would allow you to buy out certain ships for a period of time with credits. On multiplayer, these ships and prices would be able to be configured by an admin. Ships would have stocks which would replenish overtime. Maybe the mercenary faction could attempt to capture enemy ships (e.g pirates) and bring it back to their station.

Once you buy a ship from the mercenaries, an AI mercenary ship friendly/owned by your faction spawns which can be added to a fleet, and so on. Perhaps there could be a 'piracy' mode where they attack cargo fleets for you. After the period of time you hired the ship for is over, the ship would despawn.

Alternatively, you could have the ship revert to the mercenary faction and have it fly back to its station. Attacking a ship owned by the mercenary faction would detoriate relations with them, sometimes to the point of war. When at war with the mercenary faction, you can not hire ships from them and they will send heavily armed fleets to eliminate you.

You could also hire mercenary crew but they will have a much lower base loyalty and would be therefore much more likely to mutiny. If a mercenary mutiny occurs and succeeds then they will convert your ship to the mercenary faction and try to fly it to the nearest mercenary station where it would be added to the list of ships available to hire.

What do you guys think?
    Pretty neat idea.

Reaction score
    I like the idea a ton, may need to be a bit more fleshed out, but it's an awesome idea so far.