Megantereon: WIP thread. Update: 15-05-18

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've decided to create a seperate thread for my WIP titan, the AED Megantereon. To see other AED ships, click here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/adi...gantereon-1-million-tons-of-kitten-power.163/

-Main purpose will be of a mobile command centre/carrier;
    -Two (three?) huge turrets below, two above, a couple dozen of medium turrets and lots of small point defense turrets all over the ship;
    -Ability to carry at least 30 Jaguars, 40 tiny drones, 2-4 Cougars, maybe a few Caracals as well. Might add some external docking ports for larger cruisers/battleships/carriers;
    -It'll be as slow as a tectonic plate, but will have a good jumpdrive, hopefully at 100%;
    -Lightsaber-like blades out of lasers for ramming (also should look cool as hell);
    -Once rotors are a thing, I'll try to add folding wings (as seen in the original concept);
    -Extensive interior;
    -Calculations revealed that the ship will contain more than 10,000,000 blocks. That's 1 million mass, 3 times heavier than the Blizzard;
    -Current dimentions are at 1200m length, 479m width and at about 100m height (on the frontal part which is lower);
    -Not sure about the weapon loadout, but I'll try to make the weapon blocks easily changable and accesible through buildmode (no messy weapon block layout);
    -Landing gear, extending decorative VTOL atmospheric thrusters from the bottom of the hull. Yes, I hope to make it one of the biggest properly land-able ships in the game;
    -As usual for AED and ASB designs, the ship will be focused on reliability and shielding.

Current stats:
    L: 1200
    H: 110 -ish
    W: 479
    Mass: 101k

Update log:

Last few days I've been working on the engines as well as continuing the work on detailing. The area without thrusters on the side modules will be filled with atmospheric-like engines, and between the main engines there will be a hangar enterance. Guess what inspired the design of the largest thruster clusters :p

Work continues on the engines. I have finished the back hull that's behind the thrusters (It took way, WAY longer then you might think...) and added some small thrusters, too. I have tried to fit in a Cougar into the planned hangar area and it fitted perfectly with lots of room to spare, though I think there will only be two of them since they take up lots of space.

BONUS: Comparison shot between UNSC Infinity and the Megantereon.

After a two month break, I do some more detail work and start working on the interior. The ship will feature a rail cargo system allowing to easily move containers from cargo hold to the hangar or to eject to open space.

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Damn those engines are sexy. I like the use of yellow, I haven't seen that much before.

Reactions: Mariux

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You have a lot of free time on yours hands.

Nice looking ship, even in the early stages.
    Thanks for the compliment. About the free time, I wouldn't really say so. I simply try to use as efficient building techniques as possible. Also, I've started the ship a long time ago, it's just that I went on a really, really long break.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Looking really good! I have to agree, those engines are epic.
    Thanks. I don't know if people noticed that, but I messed up a little with one of the lower small engines... Derp.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also, forgot to mention that the ship just exceeded 100k mass, meaning that it's now officially a titan.

NullForceOmega

The Ancient
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I feel like the yellow sections of the engine (outside, divided radially by black armor) are a bit monotonous, and could possibly use some variance. Overall I like the feel of the ship so far.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I feel like the yellow sections of the engine (outside, divided radially by black armor) are a bit monotonous, and could possibly use some variance. Overall I like the feel of the ship so far.
    If you're talking about the very outer shell of the thrusters that is currently plain black, I'll be working on that more later. If it's something else, tell me :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's really looking better and better. Perfect mix of detail and smooth hull, that's really the best way to do it imo. Keep up the amazing work man!