Mega CPU Load

Reaction score
    Windows 8, Java JRE 7 64-bit, 16-GB ram, Radeon R9 270x, AMD FX 4300 3.8ghz

Running a server with players seems fine, but playing the game myself especially building on a large ship and using advanced build mode hangs the entire server tens of thousands of milliseconds.

Is the FX 4300 that under powered? So underpowered that it is worse than my old Phenom 9950?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-Phenom-X4-9950-vs-AMD-FX-4300

As you can see the Phenom is outclassed is every area vs the fx 4300
    HOWEVER
    Your GPU might not be picking up the slack and there is also the exclusion of 3D now from the FX which might be affecting CPU throughput as Orcale APIs do use 3D now.

Reaction score
    I tried importing a massive ship project from the previous stable build to the new one. The blueprint is 53 megabytes, it\'s 1445 meters long and nearly 16 million blocks with a 1 million block turret on the underside, and still not even half-done.

My FPS drops to nothing, server updates in the logs are increasing to between five and ten seconds. CPU (a Core i7-2600k) notched at 100%. The game is pegging the CPU load so high, in fact, that I have trouble even using the task manager to close it. The only way I can even kinda-sorta play it at all with this ship loaded is with the resolution set at 800x600 windowed and everything turned to the minimum settings. On each server update, the ship\'s power is recalculated, so the stats don\'t even remain constant like they did before.

This only started happening with the new builds. The ship loads fine and I get a stable framerate in v0.094731, but from v0.1 onward it doesn\'t work at all. It\'s a shame, too, since I was hoping to take advantage of the tetra and penta blocks to smooth out some details on the ship\'s bow and sponsons.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The Way Blocks were coded/done was Change, therefore all the entities in the Universe have to convert o -o

This will cause alot of server stress and Lag UNTIL they convert, after which they will run just find (This includeds Planets, Stations AND existing Ships)

This Problem ALSO applies to any Blueprints from the old Stable Build. They will cause a great deal of extra Lag and Stress as the server Tries to Convert the Blocks as it spawns. To solve this, You have to -Let it Spawn-, wait the extra time and hopefully your CPU can deal with the stress (takes about 10 mins for a Vaygr Battleship on NASSzone battle), after Which, SAVE the NEW BLUEPRINT, this will save the Ship in the new format, and will prevent that Converting stress from occuring again.

Its just a slight oversight, let all existing entities load once, and Resave all Blueprints in the new Build

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So that\'s why I get massive fps drops at the start of every gaming session

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The lag and stress only happen for the first load of an entity, or if an Old BP is used (since it creates the new ship in the old format, and has to convert)

Reaction score
    Haha, wow. With my project, it took something like 45 minutes to an hour before the conversion finished and the framerate stabilized.