Measuring tool

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    The building area box in advanced build mode (the placement box which can be scaled with those x/y/z sliders) works as a measuring tool but requires tweaking and is annoying to use as a measuring tool so a "dedicated" measuring tool would be useful. The tool could use those selection boxes which the copy tool uses to select an area.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    Like, look at block, hold middle mouse button, look at another and read number... release and it goes away?
    Hmm sure. I was thinking more of selecting one block is selected and a second one is selected and the tool measures the selected dimensions and outputs the measurement in a message (like how error messages display as a box at the top left of the view) in a length/width/height in blocks format.

Reaction score
    Hmm sure. I was thinking more of selecting one block is selected and a second one is selected and the tool measures the selected dimensions and outputs the measurement in a message (like how error messages display as a box at the top left of the view) in a length/width/height in blocks format.
    So basically you are looking for not linear distance, but X,Y,Z for advance copy pasting? Would it maybe make mores since to make it so you can just copy an area and/or set your tool size using two corners so you can skip intermediate steps, or are their other uses you would want for this tool.

Reactions: Skwidz

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    So basically you are looking for not linear distance, but X,Y,Z for advance copy pasting?
    Linear measurement can be a thing with this tool just as long as two dimensions remain the same size (a line would be usually one block) while selecting so the tool can function as both.
    Would it maybe make mores since to make it so you can just copy an area and/or set your tool size using two corners so you can skip intermediate steps, or are their other uses you would want for this tool.
    That's an interesting idea. Maybe if ctrl + left click is used to place the second selection point the measured dimensions will be copied directly to the placement dimensions? That could also save a few more seconds of building. Some uses for the tool I've been thinking about is measuring the size of templates so they can be pasted later or measuring out scaffolding etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What about just adding a tooltip to the existing selection tool that shows the X,Y,Z dimensions while you are actively moving the second selection box. It could additionally display the current copy selection dimensions in the selection part of the adv. build panel. Maybe even add a tiny button to copy the dimensions to the brush sliders.

Reactions: Skwidz and Agame3

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    This could be served as simply as the HUD displaying a measurment of block distance between the one you "inhabit" and the one the reticule is pointed at in advanced build mode.

How simple that is to code, I have no idea, but I would guess this is the easiest solution (not requiring any new tools or interface beyond a counter user side).

Edit: hang on, wasnt a distance metre on the reticule an option at one point? - or am i thinking of one of a thousand other different games?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Agame3