Meanderer

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Meanderer I is an experimental unmanned exploration probe launched at approximately 06:45 UTC 21 November 2014 on the dev test server. This thread provides a place to publicly record any player encounters along its journey.
    upload_2014-11-21_8-29-23.png

Behavior
    The craft is self-propelled using a logic-driven push engine, enabling it to travel forward in a straight line at a modest speed. In the event of a forward collision, the engine will shut off for a period of time. If the speed was sufficient then the craft will likely be reoriented, resulting in a random course change when the engine restarts. Otherwise interaction by a player may be necessary to move the probe or the obstruction. These behaviors are designed to facilitate player interception and interaction.

A player may also temporarily disable the engine using an exposed activator module near the upper rear of the craft. A commission placard (display module) near the front indicates the probe name, its launch date, and the URL of this forum thread. A storage module also contains a logbook which may be updated by players. [Note that the placard date reflects the launch in my local time zone.]

Observations
    I had believed that due to automatic unloading of sectors, the probe would probably travel a couple of sectors and then "freeze" until a player passed through the area. However, upon launch I targeted the probe ("F" key) and observed the distance indicator increase to 10km. At that point I released the targeting in case this was actually causing the server to continue to track and propel the craft. Several hours after launch, I do not know the whereabouts of Meanderer I (as intended); it may have already crossed several systems if the server has kept it active. Eventually, barring destruction by a star or other mishap, it could journey to a neighboring galaxy.

Progress
    Meanderer II was launched on 22 November 2014.

Attachments

Last edited:
    Reactions: der_scheme

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This reply is currently being prepared, please ignore for now.

EDIT Nevermind, he finshed the thread :p Very nice, I'd love to be able to have a sort of an autopilot system in my ships. I need to also chack if you can activate jumpdrive with logic.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Content for disturbing rant about empty threads is under preliminary revision. If you're intimidated to reply to this reply, put a reply into your reply, so we can reply to your reply's reply. Also eat a taco.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It probably travelled for a couple of sectors and then got frozen in the ethereal realm of the unloaded sector's dimension. A mythical place that evades any sentient being and swallows up everything around them.

Some say that the cat god created this dimension to keep the balance of the ram constant throughout the universe. The only way to retrieve things from the unloaded sector's dimension is to return to the original location of the "unloaded" sectors.

Attempts to disrupt this second dimension could cause dangerous ripples in the ram and unleash the "ERROR: OUT OF MEMORY" evil spirit upon the world. It is therefore not recommended to do so.

Thread with care, young adventurer.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Observations
    I had believed that due to automatic unloading of sectors, the probe would probably travel a couple of sectors and then "freeze" until a player passed through the area. However, upon launch I targeted the probe ("F" key) and observed the distance indicator increase to 10km. At that point I released the targeting in case this was actually causing the server to continue to track and propel the craft. Several hours after launch, I do not know the whereabouts of Meanderer I (as intended); it may have already crossed several systems if the server has kept it active. Eventually, barring destruction by a star or other mishap, it could journey to a neighboring galaxy.
    There's no absolute load distance; your entire sector and its neighbors load. When the probe goes beyond the sector adjacent to yours, THEN it will be stopped by the edge of the loaded sector.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There's no absolute load distance; your entire sector and its neighbors load. When the probe goes beyond the sector adjacent to yours, THEN it will be stopped by the edge of the loaded sector.
    Don't listen to this peasant's pseudo-science. ONLY THE CAT knows what happens at the edge of the visible universe (of about 2 sectors)!

This is a joke, listen to Ithirahad. Truth flows from his mouth like water from the manneken pis.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Don't listen to this peasant's pseudo-science. ONLY THE CAT knows what happens at the edge of the visible universe (of about 2 sectors)!

This is a joke, listen to Ithirahad. Truth flows from his mouth like water from the manneken pis.
    Stop confusing people.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    how do you collect data, sensors on a logic clock?
    The only sensors are for collision detection; I don't think we currently have any other applicable type of sensor which can be driven by automated logic. For partially the same reason, there is no automatic data collection. The only data gathered would be from players updating the logbook or this forum thread.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Meander II has launched at 20:10 UTC 22 November 2014! This iteration of the project is identical in appearance to Meanderer I except for its yellow hull. Meanderer II travels at a reduced speed, taking more time to observe its surroundings and enhancing the possibility of player encounters within the primary galaxy. Since rebound effects are reduced at this speed, to aid in collision recovery a bit of reverse thrust is applied upon forward impact.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only sensors are for collision detection; I don't think we currently have any other applicable type of sensor which can be driven by automated logic. For partially the same reason, there is no automatic data collection. The only data gathered would be from players updating the logbook or this forum thread.
    You could implement memory device made from logic.
    It's not automatic. You need to make it yourself.
    1 byte memory should be enough to count how many items prope had collision.
    And You could add 2 bytes to store data how long time it traveled.

It's 7 bit. But You can make it more compact.