Max Speed

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is my adie for a new max speed system.

so first of all lets go over the current system: the maximum speed is set by the server and nothing can go above it -_- simple right?

correct! and i dont like it. because it means u ca put a ton of thrusters on a ship with a huge mass and it could still get to 50km/s(default max speed) in less then 5s, which is ridiculous.

My idea: the max speed should be limited defaultly at like 2000km/h, but theres a catch. in order to reach that speed you need a certain thrust to mass ratio...and an even higher one(more thrust then mass) to get to it quickly.

Ex: first lets make up a ratio to hit 2000km/h... well go with 6/1 (thrust/mass) this would mean you need 6 thrust for every 1 mass to hit 2000km/h but this would still take some time to hit. to hit it in less then 5s well say you need a ratio of 20/1 (20 thrust per 1 mass[i hope u get how these ratios work by now because im not making these anymore])

now lets get to our scenarios:

1)

Type: Flagship

Mass: 2000000

Thrust: ?

considering this is all well need ill stop here...so we have our mass and in order to find the amount of thrust well need to hit that 2000km/h limit all you need to do is mass*6.

so the thrust we will need is:12000000(yes thats 12million)

this would make it ridicoulously hard to hit that top speed let alone do it quickly...in order to do it in under max speed u would need your mass*20.

so the thrust we would need now is:40000000(40 million)

this would make it very hard to get ships going ridicoulous speeds but also allow us to go the speed we wish to go... whether that may be slower or faster.

Note: the ratios and max speeds in this are exaples not exactly what i want them to be but numbers for me to showcase my ideas.

Also: i would add more example but i need to go to bed(as i need to wake up in apx. 6 hrs)

Please reply with our ideas on all the ideas expressed in this thread as well as these few things:

1) what you want the max speed to be(express as "topspeed:)

2) what you want the minimum ratio to hit that speed be(express as "ratio1:")

3) what u want the ratio to hit the max speed in >5s(express as "ratio2:")

Thank you for reading this and have a nice day!(or night) =P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually like your idea quite a bit. basically what you are asking for are Newtonian physics which I strongly support. However I think the reason behind the current speed cap is the [small] size of the sectors and planets ect. being so numerous. Zip through the game at 2000kph in its current state might lag the game out and crash it. Probably a more realistic top speed would be in the 500 or less range, at least for the game as it currently is. Plus doing away with automatic deceleration would also be nice, there would be no need for the often glitchy feature of stellar objects/ships stop drifting when you get close.

I really hope that Schema eventually switches from sectors, to actual star systems both in size and realisim i.e. scale planets actually orbiting a star. If you\'ve ever played EVE you would know just how cool that is.

Reaction score
    While I think this is a nice idea, I think that max speed above 200 is crazy...navigating at that speed is very hard. This could maybe be an optional function, but I am sure, I would not play with it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you set max speed to 300 as is, you need good ratios to hit max speed let alone hit max speed with any decent timing. How would this differ from how thing are now?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Rommalb & @Florrible

i think it should be higher then 200, 500 seems better, but definantly not 2k...cuz tats a little ridicoulous...but it was the first number that popped in my head,

@Nootau

in the current system all you need is a little bit more thrust then mass and u can go flying...i fogot to add this in the post...but your max speed would also depend on your ships mass...

ex. if you ship has a mass of 400k then u would prob only be able to go 75% of the max speed making bigger ships actually go slower(kinda realistic)

Reaction score
    I\'m using speed limit 300 on my server, and my flagship can mainly reach 200. Problem is that i can\'t stop from colliding with asteroids and stations on the way, they simply appear too shortly before collision. Even if i could see their markers 1 sector away it would be cool, preferrably 5 sectors away.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Larger spacecrafts would move faster than smaller ones if their mass to thrust ratio was better.

Reaction score
    One big reason they added the speed limit is to allow the server a chance to keep up. Having more than 250 speed (Or even 150 on some servers) will get you stuck in a planet/station/asteroid due to tunneling

Or worse, a ship that runs one sector a second. Log on server, load ship, hold w, crash server..

The speed limit is fine, work on faster methods of transportation that won\'t burden the server.

Reaction score
    I set my singleplayer speed limit to 1mil I cannot get ships faster than 1.7k not even mentioning at those speeds the game bugs right out.

200 is the most reasonable amount, fast enough, but not too fast.