Max Segments

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a question, does Max Segments (aka view distance) change the amount of fps you have? Or does it depend on how many blocks are going to be drawn(What you're going to be around)?

Correct any of my mistakes about how it works.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I have a question, does Max Segments (aka view distance) change the amount of fps you have? Or does it depend on how many blocks are going to be drawn(What you're going to be around)?

Correct any of my mistakes about how it works.
    a segment is a 16x16x16 chunk of blocks. As the name states, max segments drawn changes how many segments can be drawn at once.
    So long as the number of segments in your surroundings don't reach that limit, the limit has no effect. Assuming the limit is reached, more segments will obviously use up more resources, thus impacting FPS and possibly VRAM-usage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    a segment is a 16x16x16 chunk of blocks. As the name states, max segments drawn changes how many segments can be drawn at once.
    So long as the number of segments in your surroundings don't reach that limit, the limit has no effect. Assuming the limit is reached, more segments will obviously use up more resources, thus impacting FPS and possibly VRAM-usage.
    Wouldn't there be no more segments being drawn because it's reached the max amount of them(segments) to be drawn? And then the only consequence of reaching the max is that no more may be drawn?

The amount of blocks around you effects your fps because it has to load them, correct? So therefor if you lower your Max Segments, less blocks will be drawn? Which would lead to a higher fps?

Also, can you explain what VRAM is and its usage?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Wouldn't there be no more segments being drawn because it's reached the max amount of them(segments) to be drawn? And then the only consequence of reaching the max is that no more may be drawn?

The amount of blocks around you effects your fps because it has to load them, correct? So therefor if you lower your Max Segments, less blocks will be drawn? Which would lead to a higher fps?

Also, can you explain what VRAM is and its usage?
    The only direct consequence of the limit, is that no more segments will be drawn.
    However, each segment drawn obviously uses resources to be drawn, and thus the more segments are drawn in total, the less fps you will have.
    E.g. in absolutely empty space, you can lower the maximum segments drawn to 0 with no performance gain, as there are no segments to be drawn regardless of the limit, but on a planet[or generally extremely large object], the limit will easily affect performance, as the number of segments there can easily reach the limit.

VRAM is short for Video-RAM, and it is the memory your graphics card has available. I don't expect the max segments drawn to make enough of a difference here to matter, but I don't know your hardware, so I mentioned it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only direct consequence of the limit, is that no more segments will be drawn.
    However, each segment drawn obviously uses resources to be drawn, and thus the more segments are drawn in total, the less fps you will have.
    E.g. in absolutely empty space, you can lower the maximum segments drawn to 0 with no performance gain, as there are no segments to be drawn regardless of the limit, but on a planet[or generally extremely large object], the limit will easily affect performance, as the number of segments there can easily reach the limit.

VRAM is short for Video-RAM, and it is the memory your graphics card has available. I don't expect the max segments drawn to make enough of a difference here to matter, but I don't know your hardware, so I mentioned it.
    Thank you very much! You were quite helpful. This is out of curiosity:

If segments are only drawn because of a block or more, does that mean that there can be undrawn segments between you and a drawn segment a little further off?

P.S. If you knew my hardware you would laugh :P