Mass Not being reported correctly

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have sent logs in using the reporter but I want to ask the general public on this issue.

My ship is not displaying the correct mass and the mass varies by about 20K... Should I just keep building my ship?

Pay close attention to the Mass and the number of blocks.

Thanks.

-ND-

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1982/pz0q.png

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I noticed that the mass for things change depending on it\'s docked status. Could that be related?

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Incorrect that doesn\'t solve the issue. Even if Hard hull had a higher mass... I should be a 413K mass MINIMUM... where each block is .1 mass

This ship is too large to dock

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    trollerbob is just a troll, anyone knows that.

Yeah, there is an issue with mass varying from the original mass numbers, in smaller too, like a 60k blocks ship having 5k mass, or such.

Reaction score
    Hi,

I\'ve seen this too.

To be precise; the correct mass is not incorrectly reported, but the incorrect mass is reported correctly. What I mean is that this is a bug in the code to add or remove blocks (where the ship\'s mass isn\'t updated properly), and not a bug in the code to display/report a ship\'s mass. If someone figured out the exact conditions that cause this bug, it could probably be exploited (e.g. by removing and re-adding blocks to create a very light cap-ship that has much better thrust and is also much cheaper to buy from catalogue).

I encourage everyone to try to figure out how to exploit this bug, as it\'d be much much easier for Schema to fix the problem if the exact conditions were discovered. It could be that the game subtracts too much from mass when blocks are removed, or that the game fails to add enough to mass when blocks are added, or something else. It might also depend on if the symmetry tool is being used or have other pre-conditions.

There\'s also a different/unrelated bug, where the mass being displayed isn\'t updated while you\'re in build mode if the ship is docked. Undocking fixes this (and therefore I don\'t think this bug can be exploited). However; this could also be a pre-condition for the \"mass calculated wrong\" bug (e.g. maybe loging out after adding blocks to a docked ship causes mass to be saved wrong or something - I don\'t know).