Read by Schine Mass enhancers are stupid

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Perhaps servers should adjust it in their config and see if the lack of enhancers has any impact on performance and the amount of people causing problems. Set free mass to a few million and you should be fine.

What we can do is increase the minimum speed without enhancers, that should be good enough for move-able engines unless people expect them to move fast... It also keeps un-enhanced turrets fairly useless since rotating fast is pretty darn important for them.

Keep in mind that if you use a rail speed controller, that you can double the minimum speed it moves so we can't buff it that much unless we also adjust how the rail speed controller works.

Reactions: Lukwan

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    What we can do is increase the minimum speed without enhancers, that should be good enough for move-able engines unless people expect them to move fast... It also keeps un-enhanced turrets fairly useless since rotating fast is pretty darn important for them.
    Yea, I think that'd be a good compromise. Make them fast enough without enhancers so that it looks like they're actually moving :P

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Yea, I think that'd be a good compromise. Make them fast enough without enhancers so that it looks like they're actually moving :p
    We can also keep the turret minimal speed untouched and only change the rotator/normal rail ones which is what I would prefer. (Could change it drastically then, a factor of 4 maybe, depends on testing).

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Is it possible to base the number of needed enhancers on the size relation between the two entities? If the docked entity is smaller than the mother ship, you need no enhancers at all (turrets still need them). This would single handedly fix the issue of docking a large ship to a two block station and rotating it at full speed. It could even be a ratio, like anything over 1/10th the size of the mothership will need enhancers but smaller is fine.

Another issue is mass itself, I know real world it makes sense that moving parts be constrained by their mass but in Starmade a collision check for a huge chunk of a light weight block could actually take longer than a collision check for something small, heavy, made out of armor but the armored chunk take more enhancers despite being less lag intensive.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Is it possible to base the number of needed enhancers on the size relation between the two entities? If the docked entity is smaller than the mother ship, you need no enhancers at all (turrets still need them). This would single handedly fix the issue of docking a large ship to a two block station and rotating it at full speed. It could even be a ratio, like anything over 1/10th the size of the mothership will need enhancers but smaller is fine.
    I like that idea, but I think raising the minimum speed should be done anyway and that can easily be done for this current release.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

So how come mass enhancers are needed for rotators, when I just witnessed deadlis whip vengeance back and forth on a turret dock with no enhancers or power?

Reaction score
    I prefer mass enhancers, because to me it feels weird that a massive structure moves along a tiny rail and nothing more.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester

So how come mass enhancers are needed for rotators, when I just witnessed deadlis whip vengeance back and forth on a turret dock with no enhancers or power?

Not implemented yet.

Reactions: nightrune