Mass-dependent engine sounds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    First, please check out this video and listen to the engine sounds. (Star Trek: Into Darkness spoiler warning)

Notice the deep, ominous sounds of the Vengeance and the cool whirly sound of the Enterprise. This is a great effect, and I believe that adding engine sounds to starmade would add greatly to the immersion.

My concept for this is an engine sound that is generated based on the amount of thruster blocks a ship has. A fighter could have a high pitched scream like a TIE fighter, or conventional jet engine. A titan-sized ship would have engine noise so deep it is almost pure bass.

Furthurmore, the ships' number of thruster blocks would also determine the distance from which the engine sound is audible. A tiny ship could only be heard from a few tens of meters away, and a titan could be heard two or three sectors over.

Of course I am not a programmer and I have no idea how to implement this, or if it is even possible. But hopefully it is at least an interesting concept for Schema to think about.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sound dunt travel in space. Should only be audible from within the ship itself tbh. Still it\'s a neat idea overall.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    there are already sounds that travel through space, so it doesnt really matter, and it will help add atmosphere to the game. I like this, although 2/3 sectors maybe a bit much, people with sound turned on will have a distinct advantage to those who dont as they will hear my dreadnought flying directly towards them before sensors can detect me :)

Deadlis

Le Chateau Autiste
    Reaction score
    I personally would love to see the fear in my enemies eyes when they just hear the hums of the Vengeance\'s engines from 4 sectors away. :P

Deadlis

Le Chateau Autiste
    Reaction score
    That would make it all the better, you just hear the low pitched hum of death coming to get you!

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I love this idea, and it should be possible.

+1

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a game, and games are about fun. We already have space friction and a speed limit, neither of which are realistic, but they make the game fun and playable. When I want realism, I play Kerbal Space Program and get killed by realism all too often.

The idea of hearing a ship before you see it sounds awesome to me, and like Deadlis said, hearing something massive approaching without seeing it is intimidating as hell.

This could also be something that factors into building a stealth ship. The engine noise would still be audible when cloaked, giving your prey a hint as to what\'s about to happen to them. Also this would keep the size of stealth ships down so their \'audible radius\' is smaller.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I think we should have some way of dampening sound, sortof like radar jamming. I don\'t want the flaw of stealth ships to be \'I hear you!!1!\'

Also, if it is added to the game, I hope I can change it to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzNzgsAE4F0

Reaction score
    Stealth ships are greatly overpowered as is, and they will be so nerfed you won\'t be able to get a 10 mass ship to permajam.

Your point?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Stealth is unreliable to a fault. Since the load of the power system doesn\'t increase anymore, even though you have enough regen you\'ll still be brought out of cloak/jam by even the slightest lag spike.

If anything, something needs to be done to grant cloakers/jammers an increase in energy load.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don\'t mind realism, in fact I think some features like directional-thrust depending on how thrusters are set would appeal to me more, but some little things shouldn\'t be really affected by such - and humming of engines is one of them. It could be nice if depending on size and speed ships would make different noises

However, I am against hearing ships from vast distances, yet alone sectors away. I suspect the idea was made with image of some majestic titan moving through empty space somewhere. Well, I imagine server with 10 people piloting some oversized ships all over neighbouring sectors, while another5 is flying nearby in all other kinds of ship. It wouldn\'t be immersive then, it would be horrible, headache-creating experience of constant deluge of hums and whizzes..

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like this vid (from OP) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8BYyBLsCUk

(( It not only has a gatling Phaser (or whatever the weapon is) instead of the boring old ones, it also has nice interior, and sounds... ))

I like that the sounds are more like coil guns and less cannon like. Why should future war sound like 20th-century? I guess it would also be less annoying to hear than current.

For sound in space, I think even though you are unable to hear the sound directly, the giant space engines could induce vibrations on metalls or other materials inside other ships. And that would cause sound to propagate.

Induced sound from other vessels would sound different, but +1 to OP anyway. I\'ve seen volume and pitch adjustments in other games and would like it here too.