Mass Changes, why haven't other adjustments happened?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What a coincidence. I ate precisely six planets, completely, plus a great many asteroids to complete this ship (Shiva - Destroyer of Worlds).

I'm not sure I'd call it a 'moderate' size of ship however. It is well over two million blocks.

I ate six planets, used what I could of those materials, sold the rest denuding two systems worth of shops of both cash and essential components such as shield, jump and armor, then a visit to spawn to shamelessly exploit it's reserve as well. It took at least two full days of effort just for the materials alone, not to mention the several days spent in construction.

Germane to the subject of this thread, it takes 320K thrusters to give this thing a thrust response I consider barely adequate (burning 12 million power). 185K jump modules give this a jump recharge rate of 18 seconds, which is about as slow as I can live with in a ship I will be piloting a lot.

I should also mention that the only reason I am flying this as opposed to a battle cube is because my server admin turned the TURNING_DIMENSION_SCALE = 1.1 in the server.cfg file down to 0.8. I consider sluggish turn rates SO debilitating, that if we did not have this option, I would either fly small battle cubes only or simply not play. I keep holding out hope that some option will someday exist to devote extra mass/energy in a ship to improving turn rates.
    Your ship is an inspiration. Do you use docked reactors or is it solid-state?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Your ship is an inspiration. Do you use docked reactors or is it solid-state?
    There are 40 docked reactors inside that thing. I used a trick Edymnion pointed out to turn off their collision checking so they generate virtually no lag (this according to my server admin's log monitoring). The ship produces well over 30 million power per second. It has the juice to fire weapons and thrust at the same time with no power drop (not a simple trick for ships of this size). (All the turrets are self powering.) It can also optionally either fly with a jammer running (yes, jamming on a two million block ship!), or fire weapons and jam. Sadly it cannot thrust, fire weapons 'and' jam all at the same time.

I 'might' take a second stab at this beast, graduating to still more powerful docked reactors, just to see if I couldn't manage all three at once.

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Panpiper, how do you turn off the collision detection?

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    You have to use a speed controller on the rails that reduces the speed to 0. Since I know about this I include this in every rail mechanic I´m using. Sometimes a bit complicated but worth it in the long term.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Panpiper, how do you turn off the collision detection?
    You put a rail speed controller on the rail, attach an activation module to the speed controller, turn the activation module on, then off. That will set the rail speed to zero. Because the rail never moves, the entity docked to it never does a collision check.

Edit: D'oh. Ninjaed.

Reaction score
    btw Ive been wondering is there a way to "hide" docked ship cores so my ship does not end up looking like a mass of targeting recticules without turning them into turret

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You put a rail speed controller on the rail, attach an activation module to the speed controller, turn the activation module on, then off. That will set the rail speed to zero. Because the rail never moves, the entity docked to it never does a collision check.

Edit: D'oh. Ninjaed.
    Does it have to be in contact with the rail or can you C and V it over a distance?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Does it have to be in contact with the rail or can you C and V it over a distance?
    I believe they need to be in contact.
    btw Ive been wondering is there a way to "hide" docked ship cores so my ship does not end up looking like a mass of targeting recticules without turning them into turret
    Other than turning off docked entities in your nav, I know of no way.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Funny thing is looking at older ships my small ones suffered big time. The big ones don't care much, for i did not try to give them real passive effects in the first place and focused on tankiness. My fighters though from being quick and agile (48% overdrive) are crawling now even with standard armor for their system to hull ratio is so small they could not compensate. My big ships could not care less about the few percent weight gain

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    They do not need to be in contact, I tested that a few hours ago.
    Correct, does not need to be touching. I keep a single speed controller per ship/station and just link it to everything, and it does fine. No linkage cables running around, nothing like that. Just 2 extra blocks per build and bye bye lag.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    today raiben just released his stargazer, he had exchanged stuff dockings for rails and released it it is a light agile looking design that got totally ruined by the weight changes as it is not even able to support it's radar jammer anymore with close to 1 million power regen.
    I hate to say it but such changes limit our creativity when everyone just hads to build efficient to make ships even work.
    Not adjust Every other system that as well is affected by mass was imho a mistake tons of ships out there no way to heavy to be valid builds.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    today raiben just released his stargazer, he had exchanged stuff dockings for rails and released it it is a light agile looking design that got totally ruined by the weight changes as it is not even able to support it's radar jammer anymore with close to 1 million power regen.
    I hate to say it but such changes limit our creativity when everyone just hads to build efficient to make ships even work.
    Not adjust Every other system that as well is affected by mass was imho a mistake tons of ships out there no way to heavy to be valid builds.
    Radar does seem like another one that should be effected volume instead of by mass, why should a heavy small ship be harder to hide than a lighter weight larger ship?