Making Small Ships More Viable

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The current thrust towards manufacturing/procuring materials to build ships makes me think that most players will likely be flying smaller ships for quite some time when starting a new game.

This made me think that maybe there should be some alternate systems specifically to support small ships. Each system could act as a limited alternative to the counterparts people would normally build on larger ships. Each could be a single computer or possibly require a very small number of modules to use.

The blocks should be fairly expensive to purchase at a store.

Examples:
    • Limited Shield Capacitor - Would provide 7K shield (just a ballpark number I picked), but it would have to be manually charged like you would a jump drive. Shields would be down while charging
    • Limited Power Capacitor - would provide 50K additional energy storage, but would never provide more than that

These systems could not be used simultaneously with the regular systems we're all used to building. -- i.e. you couldn't stack their outputs with the outputs of their regular counterparts and it would be pointless to use them on larger ships because you could get much more shielding and power just by placing large amounts of that type.

There's probably some other basic systems that could be given limited alternates - these are just the main two that jumped out at me. It's mainly just an idea to allow players some extra options to use space more effectively on smaller ships early in the game.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finally a reasonable, non-nerf idea for small craft viability. Good going!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm not sure I like the idea of shields having to be manually charged, but otherwise and interesting suggestion.

Reaction score
    I like the idea for balance reasons, but also because it makes a small ship fundamentally different from a big one. It also adds the potential for a well aimed shot to knock out power generation or shields which I think is very sci-fi. It also does not nerf big ships or discourage building them.