making mods

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So many people learned how to program with java by making Minecraft mods.
    but I didn't like Minecraft a lot, still don't, so I never tried it. But now with StarMade I'm thinking about making mods. But I have no idea how it works and what I need.

please help me with the basic things (not asking to explain the language)
    1. what programmes do I need to make a mod?
    2. should I wait for the API and then make mods?
    3. how exactly do you make such a mod, let's say I got this mod, 50 lines big, it is an air system where a player needs air (probably 50 lines is way under what you would need) so I got those lines, then what?
    4. anything I should know or remember?
    thanks

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    • what programmes do I need to make a mod?
    • should I wait for the API and then make mods?
    • how exactly do you make such a mod, let's say I got this mod, 50 lines big, it is an air system where a player needs air (probably 50 lines is way under what you would need) so I got those lines, then what?
    • anything I should know or remember?
    1. The bare minimum are a text-editor[not a text-document-editor] and a JDK for compiling. However, most people use an IDE like eclipse, netbeans or others.
    2. Depends on the mod. If it doesn't require any API, then waiting for one makes no sense. Otherwise, the work required to keep the mod up to date[or even get it to work in the first place] is tremendous.
    3. Depends on whether or not you use an API or not. An API usually comes with a way of binding the external code into the game, so just follow the instructions of the API. If you don't use an API, you compile the code, and put it into the StarMade.jar in the installation folder. You may need to edit the MANIFEST.MF within the META-INF folder within the StarMade.jar to get your code to run, depending on what you want to do
    4. StarMade's ToS and EULA, licenses and copyright laws. You don't want to get in trouble.
      1. In case of the ToS and EULA, ask Schine if you have specific questions.
      2. The terms of a license are listed within the license-document, which is attached to the licensed material.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. The bare minimum are a text-editor[not a text-document-editor] and a JDK for compiling. However, most people use an IDE like eclipse, netbeans or others.
    2. Depends on the mod. If it doesn't require any API, then waiting for one makes no sense. Otherwise, the work required to keep the mod up to date[or even get it to work in the first place] is tremendous.
    3. Depends on whether or not you use an API or not. An API usually comes with a way of binding the external code into the game, so just follow the instructions of the API. If you don't use an API, you compile the code, and put it into the StarMade.jar in the installation folder. You may need to edit the MANIFEST.MF within the META-INF folder within the StarMade.jar to get your code to run, depending on what you want to do
    4. StarMade's ToS and EULA, licenses and copyright laws. You don't want to get in trouble.
      1. In case of the ToS and EULA, ask Schine if you have specific questions.
      2. The terms of a license are listed within the license-document, which is attached to the licensed material.
    thanks for the answers,
    2. can you like group the mods that wouldn't need API? like something they all have in common? or can you give me an example?
    4. if you can come up with one, can you give me an example of something that would get me in problems?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    2: Mods that don't require an API would be mods that either:
    • have no executable code[texture packs, skins, config-edits, etc.]
    • don't need to interact with the game's own code apart from startup[shaders, outside-helpers(calculator{e.g. MSCC}), gimmicks{e.g. MusicMade}]
    • Replace an existing portion of code of the game[no examples yet]
    Everything not requiring an insertion into the StarMade.jar is red, while everything that requires it is green.
    4: Most commonly [there is much more, but those are the pitfalls which are very easy to fall into]
    • Shipping StarMade alongside your mod without explicit permission(prebuilt installs)
    • Decompiling/deobfuscating the StarMade.jar without explicit permission, even if you don't release the results[EULA violation]
    • Not following the terms of a license of a library your mod is using

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    2: Mods that don't require an API would be mods that either:
    • have no executable code[texture packs, skins, config-edits, etc.]
    • don't need to interact with the game's own code apart from startup[shaders, outside-helpers(calculator{e.g. MSCC}), gimmicks{e.g. MusicMade}]
    • Replace an existing portion of code of the game[no examples yet]
    Everything not requiring an insertion into the StarMade.jar is red, while everything that requires it is green.
    4: Most commonly [there is much more, but those are the pitfalls which are very easy to fall into]
    • Shipping StarMade alongside your mod without explicit permission(prebuilt installs)
    • Decompiling/deobfuscating the StarMade.jar without explicit permission, even if you don't release the results[EULA violation]
    • Not following the terms of a license of a library your mod is using
    so let's say I make a special multi-block-structure that use only starmade blocks it would be possible (though as useful as a .sment)
    my very last question, can you advise me a mod I should make as newb to programming, I might be able to think of mods but they will be either impossible or to hard, I don't care if it is something already existing.

btw, some people changed explosions and thruster plumes, isn't that shading and/or texture?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    so let's say I make a special multi-block-structure that use only starmade blocks it would be possible
    If said structure has a specific function that is not in the game itself, nope, you'd need the API, as your code needs to interact with the game's code[detecting that the structure exists, and its functions that don't affect itself].

As for a newbfriendly mod that requires/trains java programming, I can't imagine any in the game's current state. It'd be way easier to start learning by making standalone programs.
    btw, some people changed explosions and thruster plumes, isn't that shading and/or texture?
    That is a mix of shading, changed textures and edited 3D meshes in case of the plumes.