Making Giant Ship/Station Recreations

What scale is the best balance of resolution and size?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, I've been working on a 5% recreation of Arthur C. Clarke's Rama, and I wanted to get people's opinions on which is the best scale to make something like Rama in Starmade. It is an issue of resolution vs size. If I thought it remotely possible, I'd make Rama at 1:1 scale, but something tells me that the game wouldn't like a 20km long ship. Bigger ships, like V'ger and High Charity, would be even worse. So I pose the question. What scale is the best balance of resolution and size?

Reactions: Jerry_Brinefield
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    yeah,5% would be quite big already :D but if you feel brave,10% is still within the realm of possibility

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    So, I've been working on a 5% recreation of Arthur C. Clarke's Rama, and I wanted to get people's opinions on which is the best scale to make something like Rama in Starmade. It is an issue of resolution vs size. If I thought it remotely possible, I'd make Rama at 1:1 scale, but something tells me that the game wouldn't like a 20km long ship. Bigger ships, like V'ger and High Charity, would be even worse. So I pose the question. What scale is the best balance of resolution and size?
    For something that large, it really depends on how you want it to function. If you want it to be able to do a certain task, make it big (or small) enough so that it can do that. for me, I'd say around a kilometer and a half is the greatest length for a ship to be feasible. You can scale it however you want, but make sure that it still serves the function you want.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It depends on how many details you want to preserve.

If you scale something down, it can happen that a window 1m wide would require a 1/10m block. Will you then scrap windows completely?
    Do you want to preserve a specific hangar size or layout of rooms?

Look at the minimum you want, make a sketch of it's size and try to make the ship big enough for it to fit.
    If you make many big ships or are planing to do it, you may want to do the same with other projects instead of later figuring it that you made it too small.

Reaction score
    You could build a rough version of it in an older version of starmade and use SMedit to scale it to some different sizes so you can check them out in-game and decide what seems best.