Making Astrotech and Scrap Useful

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Since we've got the cargo system now, I feel like this is a good time for this suggestion. You should be able to link Astrotech beams to a storage container. When you shoot a ship with that astrotech beam, it takes scrap out of the storage and replenishes the armor HP of that ship.

I'm not sure what the scrap:healing ratio would be. 1 scrap = 1 HP? Each cargo space can hold 100 volume, so that leaves... 1000 potential HP to be healed per cargo space.

I'm not sure if docked astrotechs should work on the main ship or not. On one hand, it provides for an interesting new kind of tech, but on the otherhand, it sounds kind of overpowered. It would probably be best to make it not work on the ship it's docked to.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm sounds like a good idea.

i woul also suggest to give then the astrotech the option to repair destroyed blocks of a ship when all others are repaired as lon as the destroying of the block is not to long in the past

Reaction score
    Another cool thing would be if scrap mesh could repair armor HP, but composite repair structure.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think repairing blocks themselves should be reserved to shipyards. Astrotech could potentially heal damaged but not broken blocks as well as armor HP, but I don't think it should be replacing blocks.

EDIT-
    Another cool thing would be if scrap mesh could repair armor HP, but composite repair structure.
    Since structure HP is mainly a combination of the HPs of system blocks, being able to repair structure HP while missing a ton of your blocks would be... rather weird.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    This sounds awesome, lets please do this.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think repairing blocks themselves should be reserved to shipyards. Astrotech could potentially heal damaged but not broken blocks as well as armor HP, but I don't think it should be replacing blocks.
    thats why i have said that they blocks doesn ´t be destroyed too fart away.

example:
    the blcok is destroyed 1minute in the past you can repair him, but is he more than 1 minute in the past destroyed then you can´t replace the block

when i have undertsand the shipyard system correct than there is no timewindow for the shipyards to replace destroyed blocks

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The only way astrotech beams will be remotly useable is if they can replace blocks.
    However that could be overpowerd....
    Why not allow it to replace blocks HOWEVER doing so disables the ships shield and it might cost more than usual to replace?

Reactions: CaptainTaz

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The only way astrotech beams will be remotly useable is if they can replace blocks.
    However that could be overpowerd....
    Why not allow it to replace blocks HOWEVER doing so disables the ships shield and it might cost more than usual to replace?
    I think you're underestimating the value remote armor repair has. Correct me if this has changed, but rebooting a ship does not refill armor HP, yes? Without armor HP, an armor tank is worthless. Combine this with emergency hull patchups to keep an armor tank running in between battles.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As the owner of many a fine armor tank, this would be absolutely phenomenal to have.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think you're underestimating the value remote armor repair has. Correct me if this has changed, but rebooting a ship does not refill armor HP, yes? Without armor HP, an armor tank is worthless. Combine this with emergency hull patchups to keep an armor tank running in between battles.
    So 75% armor means that 75% of the damage received will be absorbed by armor pool and the remaining 25% delt to the blocks:?
    Therefore acting as a sort of secondary shield:?

Would using basic hull therefor be the best choice for spaced armor (designed to negate missile damage by detonating harmlessly away from the ships systems), since using advanced hull would pretty much negate the effect of using spaced armour and would damage your armour pool more:?

I never really got what they did to armor XD sometimes it seems OP, other times it seems incredibly weak

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So 75% armor means that 75% of the damage received will be absorbed by armor pool and the remaining 25% delt to the blocks:?
    Therefore acting as a sort of secondary shield:?

Would using basic hull therefor be the best choice for spaced armor (designed to negate missile damage by detonating harmlessly away from the ships systems), since using advanced hull would pretty much negate the effect of using spaced armour and would damage your armour pool more:?

I never really got what they did to armor XD sometimes it seems OP, other times it seems incredibly weak
    This is somewhat off topic, but...

How armor HP works is that 50% of the damage an armor block takes is dumped into your armor pool. This happens regardless of the actual armor block's HP. So, when a basic hull or advanced armor takes 1 million damage, the armor HP pool is absorbing 500k damage regardless.

Passive... pierce? boosts that damage absorption up to 75%, and passive... punch? gives a 25% bonus armor rating to the ship.

So, for spaced armor, advanced would be more effective, but just flat out tanking damage isn't really the goal of spaced armor, so basic would probably work fine too.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    hmm sounds like a good idea.

i woul also suggest to give then the astrotech the option to repair destroyed blocks of a ship when all others are repaired as lon as the destroying of the block is not to long in the past
    There are technical reasons why this can't really work, for the time being. It may be changed later, but for now... nope.

Reaction score
    Hello fellow starmaders.

What i would love the astrotech to do, is act like the nano-disruptor from robocraft. So each ship will have a blueprint inside it, and the healing ship would shoot the damaged ship, and heal the blocks destroyed from the original blueprint. like u can shoot one side, and blacks in the area of lets say 50x50x50 that were destroyed, will be placed back or repaired, as long as the medic has them in the cargo. go google robocraft nano-disrupters. here is a pic:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Hello fellow starmaders.

What i would love the astrotech to do, is act like the nano-disruptor from robocraft. So each ship will have a blueprint inside it, and the healing ship would shoot the damaged ship, and heal the blocks destroyed from the original blueprint. like u can shoot one side, and blacks in the area of lets say 50x50x50 that were destroyed, will be placed back or repaired, as long as the medic has them in the cargo. go google robocraft nano-disrupters. here is a pic:
    The issue with that is that it makes using shipyards for repairs useless.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So each ship will have a blueprint inside it,
    Aaaand there's the problem. That means each ship takes up 2x as much data, which is no problem at all in Robocraft with their tiny 'bots, but in Starmade it can swiftly become a big deal as you go up the ship scale.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Aaaand there's the problem. That means each ship takes up 2x as much data, which is no problem at all in Robocraft with their tiny 'bots, but in Starmade it can swiftly become a big deal as you go up the ship scale.
    Twice as much? No, you link to the design and lazy load if needed. Worst case twice as much yes but usually not? It should be play tested. The astrotech module could just draw more power then the equivalent shipyard or be slower.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Twice as much? No, you link to the design and lazy load if needed. Worst case twice as much yes but usually not? It should be play tested. The astrotech module could just draw more power then the equivalent shipyard or be slower.
    I think you're missing the point. A shipyard is immobile. A ship is not. A ship with an astrotech repair beam would presumably have a repair speed based on module count, so even if it's slower, just increase the number of modules.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Twice as much? No, you link to the design and lazy load if needed. Worst case twice as much yes but usually not?
    Loading a whole second copy of the ship would mean tons of lag when someone first hits you with an astrotech beam. Compared to that, just storing the second copy constantly sounds like a better idea.

I think you're missing the point. A shipyard is immobile. A ship is not. A ship with an astrotech repair beam would presumably have a repair speed based on module count, so even if it's slower, just increase the number of modules.
    ...At which point you need a huge repair ship, and if power requirements were, say, exponential, that would not work.

Reaction score
    I think it would be nice if astrotech would replace blocks(via storage) but would need to have a selected area, and place blocks in all the missing places, spawning them with 1 hp and 1 ap, then slowly healing them up. Please note that they would replace all blocks in an area, each costing it's block, then healing each of them up individually.

This would make senarios like this: Your titan gets really unlucky and gets nuked when it's shields are down, losing a ton of armor and power and shield blocks. The titan turns it's hurt side away to protect the interior, and a support ship flys up to heal it. The support ship selects the titan and highlights the area of the hole, and the astrotech beams imediatly use up hundreds of armor and shield and power blocks out of it's storages to place all of the blocks. All of the blocks are extremely fragile, and a tiny cannon/cannon/explosive fighter swoops in and destroys half of the blocks again in half a second, before getting destroyed. The support ship repaces the broken blocks, using more resources, and slowly heals the damaged blocks up. It finishes it's job, and the titain can rejoin the main fight without having to jump and jump and jump back to the factions nearest base.

Replaced blocks would be easily destroyed, and would consume many resources. Astrotech modules would add one hps per tick per module, and armor would only be healed(maybe needing some amount of scrap?) after the health had been replenished. Docked astrotech systems would only be able to heal ships and stations that are undocked, or are on non-turret rails or one of it's parent entities to prevent astrotech cells(ships of pure power, cargo, and astrotech) hiding in your ship constantly healing, but still support fighter-healing bays, where you dock your ship and it gets healed in the hanger by astrotech while you do something else, or swoop by a healing platform, get healed up, and fly back out.