Make weapons/shields/(power) exponentially more expensive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think a good way to fight gigantism in this game would be to put an exponential cost on things that make ships stronger, like weapons and shields.

Simple and effective

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Credits are a delay not something to stop the progression, just another grindfest and you will end up with many giant ships costing what was once 500mil, to the new 5 billion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Both, actually. And if ships cost 5 billion instead of 500 million, you\'ll see a whole lot less of them. That is, if a proper economy is implemented.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When a peoper economy is implamented, the honest builders will STILL build them. They won\'t buy parts they will buy and mine ores, process them into the components and using factories to build their fleets. Making something more expensive will never stop something\'s construction. It only increases the grind to get it, also it will increase the gap between newer players and the one who has a five billion dollar ship made by a team of builders who most likely jointly use the ship..

As for power, increase the drain systems have on the current power generation will cause more large ships to be built as larger battery arrays are more efficent than smaller arrays.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    More or less.

It would be much easier to simply directly balances the weapons themselves in a fashion that truly favor the emergence of various starship \"roles\" rather than constantly purely balancing on the cost, either in credits or energy, of weapons.

A good way to start going at this would be to drastically decrease the way missiles explosion increase with size(so they are less of the \"total annihilation weapon\" they are now), and keep bigger weapons much stronger in damage and range(perhaps even giving a like Area of Effect to \"artillery grade\" AMC) but make them slower rather than faster to reload.

On that same train of though, strikecraft should be given cost effective means to take down the shield of large capital ships, though offset perhaps by a greater increase in the strenght of armor versus those of most weapon such that it should be possible for a strikecraft to deal \"decent\" damage to a large ship\'s exposed components, but only if it carries weapon dedicated to such a role(again at the cost of slower firing rate, and perhaps slightly added mass compared to a fighter better fit for dogfighting.... and taking -them- out).

Other things that could be added is that instead of massive destruction of blocks being dealt by merely being hit by a large weapon, would be to make weapons still good at dealing high damages but in a much more limited area of effect(as said for missiles) and instead making it such that power and shield generator blocks(and perhps some weapon blocks) are now \"volatile\" and explode when destroyed... to the potential of massive chain reaction depending on how a player laid out such blocks... simulating the effect in real life of a explosive warhead setting fire to sensitive volatile equipment like engines or ammunition stocks.

Reaction score
    The way you fix something like this is by implementing what\'s called a Diminishing Return. Its where the more something increases in value beyond a certain value, the less the further increases are worth -- think of money and Inflation, the more there is, the less its worth. Personally, I like the idea of this because big ships really just violate balance and logic. Titans should be a rare thing -- something only a few people (2-3) on a server of 100 should possess, much like in EVE they should be vastly expensive, sluggish, brutish, and near impregnable.

Currently however, over half the server has them, and most of them don\'t know how use to them, heck I feel bad just flying my Explorer (Cruiser) because I use those ships as acrobatic stunt obstacles -- I flew right through the hanger of one, and saw its core -- if it hadn\'t been a neutral zone, I could have elminated that thing in a single shot. So this is why I encourage my Faction mates to build small, compact, and agile, and I plan to train the warriors in formations and tactics whenever the need for them exceeds that of defending our miners.

A Diminishing return on Power, Storage, Weapons, Shields, and even thrusters would be a great addition to the game as it would infasize the value of small craft, and the rarity of large craft.