Make Symmetry Actually Symmetrical

Reaction score
    I can't really think of a perfect way to explain why the symmetry that is in advanced build mode in't really symmetrical, but I'll try.

Basically, if you want to have your ship core exactly in the center of your ship, your ship has to be an odd number of blocks wide. This is no issue if you are building each side individually, but if you want to use symmetry planes, which save lots of counting blocks, this is a serious issue. Symmetry planes can only run between two blocks, not actually though the blocks themselves. This means that if you are using an odd width for your ship, (which I have to, due to my OCD, as explained above) the ship won't be perfectly symmetrical, it will be one side off, because the symmetry plane can only be on either side of the core, not directly through it.

The obvious fix is to make the plane run through the center of the block you click on. I'm not sure how hard this would be to do, given that you can't really measure in less than one block increments, maybe it would be easier to really have two planes on either side of the center block, so what's on one side is the same on the other, and the center portion is ignored. If anybody has a better way to explain this please do, as I can barely understand my own writing.

I know it isn't the biggest issue, but please consider this, as I can't be the only one who has had to trash entire ships after realizing that they weren't actually symmetrical.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There\'s a checkbox under the symmetry plane settings for \"Use odd symmetry mode\". The only change I can see as worthwhile is adding that box for each plane type.