4. Reason to use stop effect

Reactions: Spartan-228

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It would be really nice to see that in the game at some point in the future.

But I do think it would be complicated to implement that with the current state of stars. If i'm not mistaken then right now stars aren't physical - like a planet - but are a sector that's labled a star.
    Therefor a star rework would be needed. I'd suggest a new kind of "planet" with a small physical core which is also the center of the stars gravity. What's currently a core of a planet could be expanded (it should cover the entire core + a lot of empty space) and rextured for stars and if a ship/player is inside of that "sphere" a incredible huge amount of damage is dealt or maybe even instant death. It would require a lot of work for a player to get to the physical core.
    The core should be destroyable while the player is inside that sphere. Destruction of the physical core results in the stars destruction and a emp terminating all shields and stored energy within a radius around the star.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It would be really nice to see that in the game at some point in the future.

But I do think it would be complicated to implement that with the current state of stars. If i'm not mistaken then right now stars aren't physical - like a planet - but are a sector that's labled a star.
    Therefor a star rework would be needed. I'd suggest a new kind of "planet" with a small physical core which is also the center of the stars gravity. What's currently a core of a planet could be expanded (it should cover the entire core + a lot of empty space) and rextured for stars and if a ship/player is inside of that "sphere" a incredible huge amount of damage is dealt or maybe even instant death. It would require a lot of work for a player to get to the physical core.
    The core should be destroyable while the player is inside that sphere. Destruction of the physical core results in the stars destruction and a emp terminating all shields and stored energy within a radius around the star.

Wormholes have spherical gravity that works just fine, and they're not so much a physical object as a special sector.

Reaction score
    Wormholes require you to use FTL to escape thier gravity well, and thier an entire solar system, however to make this work, the star/sun would need to have a physical representation, lika skin, if you say drop out of FTL within a star poof, your dead, but if just outside you begin taking damage, buy your shields would take the brunt of it, but due to some radiation the shields could only deflect a set percent of the damage the star would be doing to you. You would also have to weaken the gravity of the star so that you didnt get sucked into it until you were 1 sector away from the core of the star, and by then it might be already too late..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Also planets should have bigger gravity.
    Slingshoots are what I dream about.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If we make Stars physical, that could have a host of opportunities. Star Mining, anyone? There could be a regenerative layer at the surface of each star, and although it would never deplete you could effect the orbit and climate of planets. If you got a huge ship, mined the star, for example, the planets farthest away from the sun would turn into ice planets.

....buuuuuut that's another topic.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea. also, make the gravity strong enough that outside of the slingshot maneuver, pilots of ships with worse thrust-to-mass ratio would have a reason to be worried. Stars should be celestial bodies worth some consideration during course-plotting, not merely an aesthetic gimmick.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the idea. also, make the gravity strong enough that outside of the slingshot maneuver, pilots of ships with worse thrust-to-mass ratio would have a reason to be worried. Stars should be celestial bodies worth some consideration during course-plotting, not merely an aesthetic gimmick.
    Imagine making FTL not viable next to stars. That would be interesting

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    8 Agrees, people. Let's get a dev tag!
    While I wrote before the idea's good I don't think it'd be just to judge it through that. Tags go when Schine itself incorporates or considers an idea and gives a verdict. Also, the whole system of agreement is biased and very often - pretty flawed. For example, there's no indicator of how much interest the idea garners in general - what if 8 users who agreed was from a group of 20 who were all for it, but there were also 200 who do not care at all and plenty of folks who simply don't like it?

I myself as a few users noticed am not fond of using ratings - I prefer to properly express my opinion, build upon opinions of others and explain where I come from - both when I agree or disagree with something. Given that tags are very often issued by people just because they found something amusing or because it's someone they like that wrote it, I'd advise against treating them as a solid indicator of post's quality.

I hope to see this suggestion implemented and I don't mind Schine being informed of its existence - but I doubt that trying to put more pressure than that would be fair.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    While I wrote before the idea's good I don't think it'd be just to judge it through that. Tags go when Schine itself incorporates or considers an idea and gives a verdict. Also, the whole system of agreement is biased and very often - pretty flawed. For example, there's no indicator of how much interest the idea garners in general - what if 8 users who agreed was from a group of 20 who were all for it, but there were also 200 who do not care at all and plenty of folks who simply don't like it?

I myself as a few users noticed am not fond of using ratings - I prefer to properly express my opinion, build upon opinions of others and explain where I come from - both when I agree or disagree with something. Given that tags are very often issued by people just because they found something amusing or because it's someone they like that wrote it, I'd advise against treating them as a solid indicator of post's quality.

I hope to see this suggestion implemented and I don't mind Schine being informed of its existence - but I doubt that trying to put more pressure than that would be fair.
    Good point. I am kind of pumped about this idea and the positively it is receiving, but I agree with you. It's just, I am excited.

Reaction score
    Well positive or not, I believe in the idea behind the goal, each star would be a manageable object able to be orbited, exploited and what not, there are several suggestions, i suggest adding them all together and making a wish list about stars, maybe this would gain more attention then just 1 more post among the many already out there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Great idea.

Also, give us an actual graphic. I wouldn't even mind a scaled sprite as a placeholder, just something more than some light. Variation of the planet core design?