Make personal power supply beam more powerful

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the title speaks for itself. I tried using it on the macro and micro assembler and the capsule refinery, and it made everything more than 10 times slower than the personal crafting. It should be capable of powering one of those at a time. Not more, and definitely not less.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It should be able to power one module of the new factory at a time. Long story short, it does a terrible job.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Wouldn't it be just easier getting a power reactor?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, if you want to play "survival" on your own, it is not possible (and cheaty) to do that.
    Edit: So stranded on a planet with just you weapon/power supply beam/healing beam, no credits, shops have no credits and no credits refill.
    Edit 2: And I like doing that.
    Edit 3: But even if you don't do that it shouldn't be slower than personal crafting (it's quite a lot slower).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You just need 1 power cell, 1 core, 1 thruster. Is it too difficult to get that?

I think it is not cheaty to make a power cell first, if you have the resources for it. And can it take that long to get one assembled after you already collected resources?

I think collecting the will be the greater time thief than power-supplying a single macro assembler.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The point is, that it shouldn't be slower than personal crafting. And collecting does take long, but it isn't boring. Who in his right mind wants to stand ten minutes on a macro assembler to create a power reactor module?

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Maybe the power supply should recharge while you are collecting...

If it should take longer, it should not take 10 minutes. Maybe 1.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm doing it right now. It is so annoying, that I'm using my keyboard to weigh the left mouse down.
    Edit: Once you get the power reactor module everything is fine, but untill then...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be neat if some (maybe all?) of the capsules generated power. Then, in addition to placing them for subtle lighting, they also provide a tiny, tiny boost to the power supply. That way, you could gradually build up a power base to build your first power core, without having to deal with the monotony of blasting that macro assembly with your power ray for 10 tedious minutes. Maybe have it so that 12 capsules will generate as much power as your personal energy beam. Then, once you have those 12 capsules built and placed, it frees you to go mining again, while the macro assembler builds. In short, you'd spend 10 minutes playing the game instead of 10 minutes leaning on a button, waiting to play the game. I think this will provide a good balance of challenge, fun, detail, and difficulty.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But energy is shared over the whole planet segment if not over the whole planet :p
    Are capsules available on asteroids only, on planets too or is it even a bug that they are on asteroids?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I see you haven't played the new version yet. You have to craft capsules from shards or ore now, they don't spawn anymore (it was a side effect of the transition to the new crafting system).
    Edit: And you obviously don't know how high the e/sec rate is of one single machine. And they even use power when you're not using them, only allowing you to place one in the beginning. One power reactor module is just enough to supply one with sufficient power.

Edit: jayman38 , brilliant idea. Might be a bit overpowered though. (Mass placing capsules: Now!) I personally think that using a power supply beam should result in 2-3 times slower crafting in the macro assembly as opposed to it being properly supplied with energy, and using the power supply beam on a refinery/macro assembler should result in a 1,5 times boost as opposed to personal crafting. If it does become like that, it should be made that the power supply beam can only be used on the refinery and the macro and micro assembler.

Edit 2: Never mind, it is a brilliant idea. But twelve isn't a lot. The macro assembler requires 240 capsules (24 shards) to be crafted, so maybe it should be more like 64 or, imo the best option, 125 capsules (in cubes it doesn't take up a lot of space, 64 = a 4x4x4 cube and 125 = a 5x5x5 cube). Placing more capsules won't increase the power supply. Keep on when commenting on this that 1 shard equals 10 capsules, so 64 capsules = 7 shards and 125 capsules = 13 shards.

To all the others reading this: it currently is a lot slower than 2-3 times, it's near 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think for this issue it would be better if the factory had its own internal power capacitor that could hold enough power to produce 1 item, then it could be charged quickly with the personal power supply beam and left to work from its internal charge.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    the guyver , that may be the best suggestion I ever heard. It would be easy to calculate to: e/sec x seconds to craft block = internal power supply needed to create a block. This should be possible to be switched off, otherwise you'll have some weird power usages when there is a high enough e/sec rate to keep it going.
    Edit: And the power level should be visible from outside the the block.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I haven't played the new crafting system either, except to mine some ore on an asteroid for a change of pace. To keep the system balanced, it might be better if capsules don't produce energy, but shards can. It might be more balancing when placing these small energy sources, that they can only operate for long enough to help generate a simple object, like 10 minutes, and then pop out of existence to simulate being "used up". If a power core can produce 20 energy, it might be somewhat balanced for a shard to only produce 1, and so to need 20 to produce as much e/sec as a power core. Yeah, this may get overpowered with mass-placement, but mass-placement with regular power cores would be even more so, while being more space-efficient, so I don't see it as a problem. (I can regularly farm hundreds of power cores on a single pirate-hunting flight before stopping at a shop to sell.)

So imagine building and setting up hundreds of shards to power-up the factory's built-in capacitors, so it can run for a while, while you are busy doing something else. It may sound a little over-powered, but it is something where the player should be able to build-up their planet-based resources fairly quickly over time, so they can get space-borne without too much trouble or delay (modifiable in the configs, of course). After all, if a player wants to be stuck on a single planet, struggling just to get by, they can play hardcore MineCraft. StarMade is more about spacecraft, so I think the focus of the default game should be to get planet-marooned astronauts into space as quickly as possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can't place shards. And oh, by the way, there are two basic types of capsules: ore capsules and shard capsules. Shard capsules are used for everything involving light and energy. They emit light when placed, and those are the capsules we are talking about. But I personally prefer the internal storage option from the guyver .

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    The initial power amount entered by schema in this meta item was admittedly arbitrary, he already knows that it is rather weak, and yes it can easily be increased.