Make it so the thrust of docked vessels apply to the mothership

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Pretty simply. Essentially, when the thrusters of a docked vessel fire, the thrust applies to the rest of the ship as if the thrusters were placed on the original vessel.

If you have a ship with 750 thrust, and a docked vessel with 50 thrust, you'd have 800 thrust. The thrust would be applied in whatever direction the ship is facing.

Pros:
    Omnidirectionalthrusters
    Easier to carry smaller ships
    When thrusters are activatable by logic, you can have some sort of bridge controlling this stuff
    Variety of new ship/engine designs
    Clearly defined engines an enemy can attack

Cons:
    Dev time
    Not game changing

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Pretty simply. Essentially, when the thrusters of a docked vessel fire, the thrust applies to the rest of the ship as if the thrusters were placed on the original vessel.

If you have a ship with 750 thrust, and a docked vessel with 50 thrust, you'd have 800 thrust. The thrust would be applied in whatever direction the ship is facing.

Pros:
    Omnidirectionalthrusters
    Easier to carry smaller ships
    When thrusters are activatable by logic, you can have some sort of bridge controlling this stuff
    Variety of new ship/engine designs
    Clearly defined engines an enemy can attack

Cons:
    Dev time
    Not game changing
    I can understand this. And there may be other reason why the devs wouldn't allow it but I want to point something out. If I have a docked ship inside a hanger, how smart would it be to activate thrusters? If we take physics into account, then that thrust could be hitting a wall and essentially pushing it in the opposite direction. If it doesn't hit that wall, then it will hit air and since it is a sealed container there is no way that thrust would could effect anything outside the ship and in turn, use the pressure to move it anywhere.

Just something to think about. I think the hole point of docking is for a large structure to move a smaller one, not the other way around.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can understand this. And there may be other reason why the devs wouldn't allow it but I want to point something out. If I have a docked ship inside a hanger, how smart would it be to activate thrusters? If we take physics into account, then that thrust could be hitting a wall and essentially pushing it in the opposite direction. If it doesn't hit that wall, then it will hit air and since it is a sealed container there is no way that thrust would could effect anything outside the ship and in turn, use the pressure to move it anywhere.

Just something to think about. I think the hole point of docking is for a large structure to move a smaller one, not the other way around.
    Yeah, that is a good point. Once the game can calculate that stuff, we could have emergency breaks.

And yeah, that is the whole point of docking, but why not expand the purpose? There is nothing wrong with multiple uses for docking.

Reaction score
    Yeah, that is a good point. Once the game can calculate that stuff, we could have emergency breaks.

And yeah, that is the whole point of docking, but why not expand the purpose? There is nothing wrong with multiple uses for docking.
    So your main reason for having this would be something like detachable thrusters or something of that nature?

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your intention :)

Last edited:

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So your main reason for having this would be something like detachable thrusters or something of that nature?

Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your intention :)
    That is one part, I guess. It is so people can design ships that work off of movable thrusters.