Make it so an active stop drive neutralizes the gravitational pull of a wormhole.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Make it so an active stop drive neutralizes the gravitational pull of a wormhole. A stop drive working at 100% efficiency already does this for ships that get close enough to a planet, it makes sense for them to do the same thing with wormholes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    On one hand, it makes perfect sense in terms of consistent gameplay, and would allow one to jump through a network and activate the stop mid-jump to make sure they don't fall back in when they've reached their intended exit hole.

On the other, the black holes that form the wormhole network have a significantly more powerful gravitational force than a planet, so leaving it as is makes perfect sense scientifically. Of course, the lack of gravity from a system's star, the existence of gravity manipulation in the form of artificial gravity blocks and the aforementioned defensive stop effect, and the existence of FTL in its multiple forms (including the use of black holes to warp places instead of dying horribly) all indicate a sufficiently advanced technological base that renders scientific realism in this regard moot.

I'll throw my 2 credits in the support pile on this one.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just tested that yesterday, seems like the stop-effect has no effect aggainst wormholes. Let the stopeffect neutralize a certain amount of gravity.
    So the wormhole won't suck you in from far away, but if you come too near your stopeffect will not protect you from all the gravity.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think it shouldn't make you fully immune, but it should be enough that you can escape with ease.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I disagree. By making a ship immune to the pull you take out the whole reason the worm-hole/black-hole exists. It is supposed to be dangerous.

Personally, I like that there are a couple of things in the game that treat large ships and small ships the same. Whether you are 50 mass or 5 million mass, stars burn you up and worm holes trap you.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I disagree. By making a ship immune to the pull you take out the whole reason the worm-hole/black-hole exists. It is supposed to be dangerous.

Personally, I like that there are a couple of things in the game that treat large ships and small ships the same. Whether you are 50 mass or 5 million mass, stars burn you up and worm holes trap you.
    It'd require 5% of your total mass to become immune, though. Who's going to use 5% of their mass for a Stop Drive when they could put in more shielding, weapons, or another less situational effect, like Ion? Only specifically designed ships would have immunity to a wormhole.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It'd require 5% of your total mass to become immune, though. Who's going to use 5% of their mass for a Stop Drive when they could put in more shielding, weapons, or another less situational effect, like Ion? Only specifically designed ships would have immunity to a wormhole.
    That's the idea. Exploration ships that wanted to travel through wormholes would have to not also be completely combat-optimized. Then all we need is some incentive to actually use wormholes - perhaps some kind of sector that can only be accessed using the wormholes; something like EvE's wormhole systems.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That's the idea. Exploration ships that wanted to travel through wormholes would have to not also be completely combat-optimized. Then all we need is some incentive to actually use wormholes - perhaps some kind of sector that can only be accessed using the wormholes; something like EvE's wormhole systems.
    There is an incentive to use wormholes. It's to move around.

Reaction score
    Let the stopeffect neutralize a certain amount of gravity.
    So the wormhole won't suck you in from far away, but if you come too near your stopeffect will not protect you from all the gravity.
    This is known as the "Event Horizon" -- the threshold beyond which there is no return, for anything.

Exploration ships that wanted to travel through wormholes would have to not also be completely combat-optimized.
    I'm all for exploration. I certainly hope the game evolves past it's current "Warship or Nothing" imbalance.

~ee