Read by Council Make far away ships like projection is shipyard to save FPS.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello,

Yesterday I notice while loading my design in a shipyard that a ship that is being projected does not take fps away.Normally when I see my ship I have 30 fps.The when I edited the ship my fps went to 30 fps.

So my Idea is,why not make far away ships into projections(but not with the projection texture)and planets before landing on it.
    This will help saving fps when I have 6 of my cruiser in a sector.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think that the reason that ships in shipyards do not reduce FPS probably is because they are not physical objects, and so there are none of the physics calculations that are mostly what causes large ships to lag: the game has to be doing collision checks all the time. So the only way to make this work would be to give ships that are a certain distance away have noclip, which has obvious problems.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I think that the reason that ships in shipyards do not reduce FPS probably is because they are not physical objects, and so there are none of the physics calculations that are mostly what causes large ships to lag: the game has to be doing collision checks all the time. So the only way to make this work would be to give ships that are a certain distance away have noclip, which has obvious problems.
    Actualy no because I was in the ship checking and I could touch the walls use logic enter the core.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Actualy no because I was in the ship checking and I could touch the walls use logic enter the core.
    Because you are a player inside it, and the ship doesn't have to assume it can be moving at any moment. The calculations can treat projected ships as if they are immobile entities and only has to update collision areas when blocks are added or removed.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There is a LOD system planned that should help with rendering stresses of ships far away. It's a complicated issue so it will likely not happen soon.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can only assume that shipyard projections don't cause the usual collision lag of two large bounding boxes overlapping because they are not actually separate entities; the design projection is just treated as a part of the station it is attached to. It seems unlikely that there's anything else at play which might be reducing lag more than usual.

Reaction score
    I can only assume that shipyard projections don't cause the usual collision lag of two large bounding boxes overlapping because they are not actually separate entities; the design projection is just treated as a part of the station it is attached to. It seems unlikely that there's anything else at play which might be reducing lag more than usual.
    But stations can cause lag too. Why don't we use this thing for planets. They generate massive lagg.

Reaction score
    Planets have such an insane amount of blocks, plus gravity calculations, plus rotating sector ... no amount of fiddling is going to bring that down easy. I don't think giving them no clipping will help, because the lag isn't based in bounding boxes or collision detection/processing, it's based in block count and other calculations going on.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    There is a LOD system planned that should help with rendering stresses of ships far away. It's a complicated issue so it will likely not happen soon.
    They haven't confirmed using it for ships yet. Only detailed models.