Magnetic Docking System

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If I recall correctly, that\'s how the space docks worked in Star Trek, and I believe it\'s how the ISS docks its ships. (Don\'t quote me on that last part)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    and gforce is the force of gravity, which means it would require a large source of gravity to begin with

I guess he means forces messured in g (Earth gravity, relative), caused by velocity changes.

Reaction score
    Id prefer to not have to line anything up. If magnetic blocks that you could toggle and they would be attracted to the closest hull block within range, then that would be fine, but having to line shit up just to dock is annoying.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There\'s gotta be some sort of challenge associated with docking though. Remember having a docked ship is invincible on a faction claimed space station. Plus, in the way of programming, that would be WAY too complicated as you\'d need a way to distinguish between the station and ship hulls.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you remove the docking beam from the ship\'s system, how are we supposed to open Plex doors from inside ships?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah crap like hanger doors. I didn\'t think of that. What if we had something like an \"activater block\", which would give you an option to activate any block your cross-hairs are over?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Implementation: Have two orientable docking blocks: turret docking blocks and standard docking blocks.

When placed in a group, they have an \"output\" like weapons. This is the block in the \"frontmost\" layer of the group, and it is chosen the same way the weapon outputs are chosen. The output can also be set manually, like weapons, with \"R\" in astronaut mode.

Standard docking ports dock output to output. Turret docking ports dock with the core over the output. Both types only dock with themselves.

Groups of docking blocks are activatable in the hotbar. When a group of docking blocks is activated, transparent \"blocks\" appear over each output on nearby ships. The markers are green is the ship can securely dock, yellow if the ship can insecurely dock, and red if the ship cannot dock. Meanwhile, a blue block appears over the output of the activated group. Docking occurs when the blue block intersects with a green block. The ship attempting to dock rotates to the nearest 90 degrees and locks one block above the other docking module. This \"nearest 90 degrees\" is how a turret\'s default orientation is chosen.

A ship can securely dock if its mass is under 15 * effective blocks. Effective blocks is number of blocks in the smaller of the docking groups times 2, plus half of the extra blocks in the larger group. A ship can insecurely dock with 30 * effective blocks. Insecure docking means that when either ship accelerates or is hit, the docking breaks.

If the both docking groups are the same size, either ship can be flown. If one docking group is smaller, the ship with that docking group cannot be flown. Docking does add mass to the to the ship. The turn rate is the lower of the two ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Damn that\'s impressive! All I can say is: \"Make it so!\"