Macross SDF-1 Battle Fortress transformation test

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was going to share a lot of my experiences with building the SDF-1, and I had a longer write up, with nearly 40 photos, but apparently there is a 20 photo posting limit. Well, if I removed the 16-20 photos to bring it down to 20, then it probably would have made the reading boring (plus, I would need to add more as the project progressed and I would have already been at my limit). I think I could have made a second reply and added more photos, but I'm not going to mess with it. Anyways, I chopped about 1/3rd of it. Scratch that, I'm eliminating approximately 95% of it and not adding any photos (well, I'll give ya Prometheus's claw). Let's cut to the chase, here are the two Prometheus photos, and the SDF-1 transformation test video. I might have my Diary as a downloadable PDF, I'll think about it. I haven't started on Daedalus yet, hence the reason he's missing.

SDF-1 completion ETA... unknown. Hopefully within the next 30 days, but I'm not cutting any corners, so no promises (30 days goes quick!).

I started building the SDF-1 on Nov 27th, 2015.

The front of Prometheus obviously looks like a claw and any Macross fan has always said to themselves "If that claw could close, it could crush some $#&%!". Well, guess what... mine's gonna...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That was incredible! Great job!

What kind of scale were you using when making the SDF-1? I have a nearly complete Lancer-II Space Cannon, but I've had to up-scale it since 7m is not very long in SM. ;)

Reaction score
    That was incredible! Great job!

What kind of scale were you using when making the SDF-1? I have a nearly complete Lancer-II Space Cannon, but I've had to up-scale it since 7m is not very long in SM. ;)
    Thanks! Lol, no, 7m is not very long at all. Especially in a voxel world. I tried to stick with W496 L1210 H312, exactly like the original (mainly because I didn't want to accidentally make it smaller than it should be). Although I don't know if the Height and Width is 100% accurate (but by my calculations, I should be pretty dang close), the Length is dead on (1210m). I'll tell you one thing though... 7m is not long in a voxel world, but 1210 meters sure seems to be! Geez, it takes forever to get from the front to the back in astronaut mode! Better bring some sandwiches!!

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    Daedalus took a few weeks, but I incorporated the features I wanted. I'll let you explore the features once it's released. Here are a few pics.

Daedalus docked to a shop

Daedalus docked to the SDF-1. Currently, the SDF-1 has a total of 277 wireless modules (it couldn't transform correctly without them). Approximately 85% (or more) of the wireless modules are in use (some I threw in for possible future expansion). There will be more added before completion. The gymnastic bar looking thing that reaches to the sky will be removed before completion. It is used to target the center of the two cannon risers. I had to make it high so it wouldn't interfere with the transformation sequence.

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Very cool! Keep up the good work! And yes 1210m does seem like a long long way to go!

BTW, I'm thinking of making some of the Veritechs. I hope I can keep it to the correct dimensions so that they can be used on your SDF-1. ;)

Reaction score
    L31xH24xW40 is the about standard for the Prometheus lift. There are a couple of docking bays inside (room for a third).

I'm nowhere near complete on the interior of anything. Currently, everything is bare bones

The deck door for Daedalus has a maximum size of L45xH20xW38. With two hangars inside. I would say build the Veritech how you want it, and then shoot me your specs. I'll attempt to make a place for it somewhere.

Reactions: Bladeriker
    Reaction score
    Nice, love this build, keep up the good work. Also are you going t try to make a functioning Reflex Cannon?

Reaction score
    Also are you going t try to make a functioning Reflex Cannon?
    No need to try:

However, it seems nearly impossible to make a beam weapon that does any damage in one shot. The beam is basically just good at taking down shields, so I had to give the SDF-1 a back-up, support weapon, which in all reality, should probably be considered it's main weapon.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    So Beam-Beam+? I'll have to link my main cannon some time.

Its constant fire 3km Beams with different effects.

Reaction score
    Beam+Pulse+Explosive. I tried tons of different configurations, but this setup appears to provide the best results.

Also, these two cannons are separate entities, so I can only fire them via wireless. I wasn't sure if I could use the beam+cannon arrangement for constant fire, especially given the size of these weapons (energy hogs). Anyways... I was able to destroy two planets with them (not always with one shot though). I also stuck the tip of the cannons in the atmosphere.

I sorta feel bad now. I didn't know the planet was inhabited. Apparently millions of voices cried out in terror :(. They sure were hiding well, they should have came out and greeted me, and I would have spared them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    The logic is easy, its the layers and layers of beam modules that suck when building a main weapon. Still fun to watch.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    idk if its just me, but I think you pugged* the SDF-1, if I remember the anime correctly, and looking at the model SDF-1 that I have on my coffee table, Id say that it should be much more elongated. In a few days, I'll take my shot at making the SDF-1, maybe I'll end up encountering the same problems

*Making a ship much more shortened in length compared to what it should be effectively giving it a pug nose
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463730136,1463730031][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Very cool! Keep up the good work! And yes 1210m does seem like a long long way to go!

BTW, I'm thinking of making some of the Veritechs. I hope I can keep it to the correct dimensions so that they can be used on your SDF-1. ;)
    are they going to be transforming veritechs?!! or just a f-14 tomcat (insert sad gir here)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I imagine an elongated version might break the game or prevent pieces from loading in, which would be tragic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I imagine an elongated version might break the game or prevent pieces from loading in, which would be tragic.
    I can kinda see that, but then again, would you rather have a pugged* ship, or something that looks exactly like the real deal?

*Making a ship much more shortened in length compared to what it should be effectively giving it a pug nose

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can kinda see that, but then again, would you rather have a pugged* ship, or something that looks exactly like the real deal?...
    Again, it's better to have something that looks somewhat decent and still works, versus a beautiful, non-functional museum piece. We already have plenty of museum pieces in Community Content. If you can get something that looks right and works at the same time, that's cherry.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Again, it's better to have something that looks somewhat decent and still works, versus a beautiful, non-functional museum piece. We already have plenty of museum pieces in Community Content. If you can get something that looks right and works at the same time, that's cherry.
    if that's what you're going on, why even have it transform in the first place, that kinda ruins a lot of the functionality of the vessel unless you are going to use massive manned turrets

Reaction score
    idk if its just me, but I think you pugged* the SDF-1, if I remember the anime correctly, and looking at the model SDF-1 that I have on my coffee table, Id say that it should be much more elongated. In a few days, I'll take my shot at making the SDF-1, maybe I'll end up encountering the same problems
    Actually, my brother is a huge Macross fan, HUGE!! He let me borrow his original SDF-1 toy that he had for nearly 30 years, in immaculate condition. He has other SDF-1's, but this was the only one out of the box. The main guns on the toy aren't nearly as long as I wanted them to be, I sorta felt like it has a pug nose (still do), but again this was the original (there were many, many different versions of the SDF-1). I actually made the cannons slightly longer than the toy, to better match the anime version.

Be my guest, and good luck on the build, but I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad the cannons are the size that they are, because they would have looked freakishly too large in robot mode if they were any larger (I sorta felt that way with the ones on there now, but after I built the legs, it seemed to work perfectly (that was probably the only thing that did off the bat!). Also, obviously I wasn't going for 100% accuracy. As with the U.S.S. Vanquish, I wanted a slightly darker, different version of the build. Something in which I could incorporate whatever I wanted, but still make it transform and feel like the SDF-1.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, my brother is a huge Macross fan, HUGE!! He let me borrow his original SDF-1 toy that he had for nearly 30 years, in immaculate condition. He has other SDF-1's, but this was the only one out of the box. The main guns on the toy aren't nearly as long as I wanted them to be, I sorta felt like it has a pug nose (still do), but again this was the original (there were many, many different versions of the SDF-1). I actually made the cannons slightly longer than the toy, to better match the anime version.

Be my guest, and good luck on the build, but I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad the cannons are the size that they are, because they would have looked freakishly too large in robot mode if they were any larger (I sorta felt that way with the ones on there now, but after I built the legs, it seemed to work perfectly (that was probably the only thing that did off the bat!). Also, obviously I wasn't going for 100% accuracy. As with the U.S.S. Vanquish, I wanted a slightly darker, different version of the build. Something in which I could incorporate whatever I wanted, but still make it transform and feel like the SDF-1.
    That makes sense, and I love how you were actually able to make it transform, I'm actually working on a veritech right now so I can scale my version of SDF-1 to match it. I have played SM religiously since it was released, so this whole project should be done within the next week or two, the only thing is, I know for a fact I won't make the SDF-1 transform, personally, I like it much better in its ship form than its humanoid like robot form, but the veritechs will have all three modes and be able to transform as fast as possible. If you're interested, I'd be glad to assist you in the build, interiors and logic systems are my absolute specialty.

Oh, and I'm not actually a die-hard fan of Macross, i'm only 14, so it was FAR beyond my time. But, my stepdad and I used to play Robotech: Battlecry a few years ago. We both liked it so much we went out and got a bunch of figures to use as decorations and such, but unlike him, I love anime, so I picked up the series pretty recently. (Before you ask, yes, I've finished it)

Reaction score
    Well, you sure aren't far off on this... I have to save constantly because I never know when the world is going to load the SDF-1 in pieces. Some of the sections want to be it's own ship. Once the SDF-1 is in pieces, it is unmanageable. You are correct, it is way too complicated to glue it back together and it is extremely tragic. Luckily, it doesn't happen often, but it does cause me to save often. I'm sure I don't have to say it, but this is probably not a ship that need to be loaded on a server. There were lots of obstacles that jumped in the way during the build, but I'll give up building it when someone pry it from my cold dead hands.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463890730,1463889214][/DOUBLEPOST]
    ...I know for a fact I won't make the SDF-1 transform, personally, I like it much better in its ship form than its humanoid like robot form...
    As far as Starmade goes, currently I like the ship mode better as well, and this build is mainly to be used as a ship. HOWEVER, there are many ships that are ships (movies, toys, games etc). I'm not aware of any known Battleship on the planet, fiction or not, that transform to a robot, so I figure if I'm going to build the SDF-1, that it would have to do what the SDF-1 does... well.. transform :D. Also, again my brother is a HUGE Macross fan, so I really want to make sure it is to his liking as well (shouldn't be too hard to do, we do have pretty much the same taste). He actually helped with a few things. He gave me his whole boxed DVD series collection to watch to get some ideas, but I watched the first season, then watched "Do You Remember Love" (DYRL) and decided to just use DYRL to finalize the build, since it seems to blow the boxed series out of the water. He also told me something that would be awesome to include if I could pull it off. I figured out how to pull it off, but haven't finished pulling it off.

Reactions: jayman38