Lua code on blocks for functions...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think it would be a good idea to have lua code be with blocks too so we can make light switches to turn off a section of lights, that is to include light switches and buttons etc. also a good thing with CES's suggestion post about signs we could have something like minecraft's computer craft where it is like a monitor displaying text so the lua will display text input into the monitor. Also we could do the same with doors, turning turrets on and off, undocking a ship or turret, and activating other things...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I support this, but there should be an easier, more non-computer-nerd-friendly way to link together different toggle blocks...

CES

Reaction score
    It could work the way we link blocks now, such as linking computers to AMCs.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ya but this way we have ways to make gates... but I guess that would work with the gates too...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    First the LUA script upport hould be refined, allowing to do more without causing weird stuff to happen.

Once the scripting features are finalized, then schema could try to create a flow graph UI for those without programming knownledge.

Of course, everything is subject to change, so we might never know if at some point schema might see LUA support as more of an issue to the game\'s development, and thus decide to remove it. (Of course this is just a personal thought)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    X3-Reunion did it (I made a thread here: http://star-made.org/content/computer-blocks-which-support-custom-code-pre-selected-functions )

Basically it had \"input fields\" for variables inside text (comments).

You use an editor to fill these fields. On save, the text(-id) and fields are mapped to \"returnValue = functionX, variable1, variable2\" and executed by a parser (imagine java-bytecode and some functions in C++)

It is newbe-friendly, because everything is not hirachically sorted but also has no programming stuff (except variables).

I am not too much against LUA, but it has it\'s downsides - here are three examples:

• Indexing starts with 1 (personally don\'t like, because it is different from everything else - Java, C++, PHP, JavaScript, ...)
    • \"text\"..\" concatenation\"..\" multiple\"..\" times\" cause the system to update the hash=string table 4 times - in runtime. That is especially bad with automatically generated names.
    • Return values can have anything - from boolean to integer, etc. Someone changes his code and you notice it first if you use your function for a ship with the name \"_WITH_UNDERSCORES_\" - your stuff crashes while it worked x days before with the older version.

Reaction score
    I like complicated nerdy things! It makes me feel as though I have to work harder.

(is this just me being nerdy?)