Lots of math

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright. Reworking an old favorite ship. New updates have had me playing around for hours to figure out the kinks.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the math. For example if I have two 500 block missile cannons both with 500 blocks of beam modules and some ion to take down sheild but leaving enough normal damage to still get maximum radius damage to the ship itself.

After I figure how much ion to use I need to figure out how many power tanks I need to shoot em. Hopefully leaving me enough room for everything else.

It's a 23,500 block ship when loaded up and a lot of interior so I only have 11,500 is blocks for all the systems. Problem is idk how to do all that math.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    For only 11,500 blocks for systems, you might be a tad high on the weapons. You'll be forced to make sacrifices on other things like shielding, etc. Two missiles each with 500 missile blocks and 500 beam modules with say 250 ion modules will work out to 2500 blocks worth of weapon system. Each block of that will want 2250 power to fire, so you'll need a minimum of 6 million power storage to cover that and your other requirements. (You don't want your other systems to short out when you fire.)

Sniper missiles (what I call those sorts of missiles) are 'extremely' power hungry, and you'll probably need around 2500 power capacitors to fire both missiles at the same time. That's the same number of blocks as the weapons themselves. You could reduce that by a fair amount (not by half) if you were to fire the sniper missiles one at a time every 22 seconds rather than both every 45 seconds, but I expect that would not be the optimum battle strategy.

That does not leave a lot for power generators, thrust, shields and regenerators, etc., but it could be done. I would be looking to see if there would not be a way to use some of the rest of the ship's structure for system blocks as well. Use thruster blocks for engine, power capacitors for engine room and engine drive lights (be absolutely certain however to chain 'all' power capacitors so that they are all in contact with one another to create a single giant system). See if you can't have some extra power generator lines be sometimes somewhat exposed so as to run them through the structure. Be willing perhaps to have shield and regen blocks also be visible sometimes so as to replace ordinary hull blocks with them.

That or be willing to tone down the offensive weaponry a tad.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh yea I'm not set on that big of weapon systems. Also hopefully may knock out a few rooms lol. What are some good overall ship balance percentages. I know I want a fast ship but my computer is not good enough for overdrive yet. So I'm thinking 15% to 12% thrusters. I have no idea about reactors with this guy, it's a odd shape with the interior to get a block in let alone long lines of em.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, you've opted for 50% RP space allocation, so you've pretty much blown most standard ratios out of the water. I do not myself usually work with ratios, (except for effects systems like ion effect for shields, requiring 5% of the ship's blocks for full effect). 12-15% thrust should give you good thrust, as long as your hull isn't entirely composed of advanced armor (hint: use regular hull but make your front profile out of advanced). I seem to recall a thread somewhere, where many 'warship' builders (not RP ships really) advocated at least 30-40% in shield and regeneration systems. That thinking may have changed somewhat with the new HP/hull system.

Power systems are for me so utterly crucial to a ship's potential that I usually build the power system first, then build the rest of the ship around that. If your ship is already essentially built but has no power system in it yet, dig channels two blocks deep into your hull starting at the front and going all the way to the rear. Try to avoid any significant reversals of curves if possible (go straight through protrusions rather than follow the exterior). Make as many of those channels as you can. Fill the bottom part of each with a line of power modules and then cover it back up again with your hull. Consider exposing some power lines if they won't detract too much from your RP aesthetic.

After that, fill absolutely every nook and cranny in your ship that you can with shields and regenerators. I usually go for a one to one ratio of them. I will go so far as to look for any and all hull blocks that are hidden from sight by other blocks and replace them, often one at a time, with shields and regenerators. Again though, that was before the new hull system, and I may wind up changing my mind about such things as I learn my way through what is now a rather different game. I've been away for a while and am just now coming back.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Alright. Reworking an old favorite ship. New updates have had me playing around for hours to figure out the kinks.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out the math. For example if I have two 500 block missile cannons both with 500 blocks of beam modules and some ion to take down sheild but leaving enough normal damage to still get maximum radius damage to the ship itself.

After I figure how much ion to use I need to figure out how many power tanks I need to shoot em. Hopefully leaving me enough room for everything else.

It's a 23,500 block ship when loaded up and a lot of interior so I only have 11,500 is blocks for all the systems. Problem is idk how to do all that math.

Somewhat off topic, but if you are going with a weapon system of that size then you may want to consider breaking it up into substantial smaller systems. If you fire 2 high damage Missiles at a ship equipped with any reasonable point defense system they will probably just laugh at you. And this is ignoring player ships that have chaff units mounted to them.

A large quantity of lower damage shots can be just as, if not more devastating as a few very powerful shots.
    This thread in particular details the various applications of missiles.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/missiles-tests-notes-comments.20117/