Looking for way to share

Reaction score
    So I have been looking into ways to make videos regarding my creations.

Any suggestions on programs I could use to do this?

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Recorder - Fraps
    Editor - Sony Vegas

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If you're lucky enough to have a good Nvidia gpu you can use shadowplay, it's free and is very easy to use and it comes with extra fancy features that are really handy.
    Otherwise MSI afterburner also seems to have some sort of video recording software.
    Raptor for AMD cars might also have that? not sure.

For editing simple stuff movie maker or iMovie should be good enough, if you're more into it then get a "free" version of vegas for editing and maybe after effects for well effects. unfortunately the last two are really damned expencive, so just roll with moviemaker or imovie the simple stuff is more than good enough.

If you need to fix the sound too then get audacity, I believe it's free.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I myself use OBS, it's free and does a much better job than what I used before (Fraps)

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I use OBS as well. It lives up to it's reputation; awesome, if a bit more complicated settings-wise. Once I learned what does what it was easy to set multiple settings for streaming, recording long matches, short gifs, lossless capture, etc.

If you are willing to put a good amount of time and effort into editing, Lightworks is a tool that is as powerful to use as professional software. There are some good tutorials out there to get one started on it. If you just want to modify and toss stuff out there you should go with something a lot simpler though.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm going to offer a slightly different suggestion:
    I play Starmade on a slow 2014 macbook pro running windows 10. This laptop is good for a lot of things, but it only has 2 cpu's and gameing isn't it's thing.

What I ended up doing was using a Live Gamer Portable from Avermedia. It's a nice little compact unit that plugs into your usb and video out and records your screen. Like a hardware version of Fraps or OBS. doesn't use any CPU and it takes great videos. I got my for about 85 bucks on amazon.

I then use either OpenShot, or Windows Movie maker to edit the video.

Good Luck :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Well I have tried quite a few programs/solutions.

OK. Glanced at some of the posts and I likely at this point am not adding much but....

For recording:
    I recommend fraps. I have never had issues recording something with it. That being said, its very CPU dependent. So if you don't have a really nice CPU you may have a low FPS while recording which is a bad thing. Another down side to FRAPS is you need (IMO) a dedicated Hard Drive to store its video files on. They can be huge. Very good video quality, but huge. If you have a spare 500GB drive like I do then you should be fine.

For NVIDA You could use shadowplay, which many people use (no experence with it myself). If you have AMD there is Raptr which is their answer to shadowplay. I have played with that a bit and I hardly notice an FPS hit to my games while recording. Maybe a few frames (as in 1-3) but thats it. Down side, is with Raptr I have audio sync issues with my mic. From my searching its a known bug, so you may have to use audacity to record your mic, separate from the video and game sounds.

One of my friends started streaming reciently, and swares by OBS now. It is free so you may want to check it out. Ive done a bit of playing with it myself but am not sure one way or the other if I really like it or not. One thing I can point out though, is that I didn't take as big a hit to FPS as fraps, but it was more noticeable then Raptr.

As far as other programs I have used, there isn't much to recomend. I've used Hypercam, Camstudio, and other "Freeware" and "Shareware" recorders but none of them ever preformed very well, or in some cases worked at all. I recommend staying away from such programs to avoid a lot of headaches.

For Editing:
    If your using Windows, then Windows Movie Maker will work well. I suggest finding and downloading the Old version though, as it has many more features and is more flexible then the new version. I also will note that with my hardware, for some reason the new version of Movie Maker will cause audio sync issues.

My current program of choice is Sony Movie Studio. I picked it up on sale from newegg.com. So far I like using it. It has more options then Movie Maker and is easy enough to pick up and start learning.

I can't recommend Sony Vegas though I know its what the "Pro's" use. The reason being I've never used it, and it can be cost prohibitive.

Lastly I have also used OpenShot on my Linux Laptop with good results. Its free like Movie Maker, but is for linux.

OK Hope this was a helpful overview of your options. If you have any specific questions on this stuff, let me know and I will answer you to the best of my ability.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You can also try Dxtory - less lags on your computer, compared to fraps.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've noting to add for the recording part, but for editing a nice option too is the open source program Shotcut, to be found here.
    And, a word to the wise, don't use Windows Movie Maker, that's so basic it isn't really usable for editing if you want to do more then just paste shots after each other. ;)

Greets,

Jan