Looking for some tips on a near-finished build

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've been working on this ship for a while now. It's almost complete. The major components are all in place, the hull shape is almost final, and auxillary systems are almost decided on. It is not painted yet.

(I really love this hangar. :D)

Just thought I'd poke around and see what you guys thought about it, or had any suggestions. :)

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The design at the rear of the ship looks pretty cool, lots of potential. You might want to add in a few extra bits and details around the ship to give the hull a more '3-dimensional' look (especially the front portion). People either tend to go a bit overboard with the small stuff, or not enough, and more often than not simply rows upon rows of ribbed portions are used (that gets old really fast). Just some raised plates or 'piping/cabling' can easily make a build look better and more detailed. Vents and recessed portions can also look really nice.

Along with physical accents, varying hull types can be used to add a textured feel to the hull. Based on the images you posted, it looks like you've built all of your ship with basic hull. Standard armor typically makes a better base to work off of (at least from an aesthetic standpoint) but basic has a lot of practical uses (mainly being lightweight, and easy to produce if one is playing with survival mode).

Systems can be whatever you want them to be. Smaller ships have more potential for mobility rather than offensive capability, but if you want to make a clunky, damage-dealing beast of a smaller ship, go right ahead.

All that aside, you've got a nice build in progress right here. Hope all goes well, and keep at it!

Reaction score
    I'd put something in front of the docking doors. Like a turret or two, or maybe just fixed guns.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I 100% agree with BJammin, try to break up the larger areas with some detailing.
    Also, there's a slight discrepancy in design between the main body and the engine section. The aft section uses lots of slanted areas, it has very few 90 degree angles. The front, from what I can see, is very boxy compared to that. My suggestion would be to replace the edge lines of the main body with wedge blocks. It would help connect both parts of the ship on a visual scale.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the replies! :) I agree, there should be some bridge between the front and the back. I am thinking some winglike shapes running along the sides to accomplish that goal.

Progress pic.

Redoing the hangar with the double-block "teeth" definitely makes it feel more industrial, at least in my opinion.

Reaction score

I am so very glad that I continued work on this build instead of starting a new one. It had more potential than I originally imagined. Currently, I'm working on the (rather small) interior, attempting to create a unique atmosphere.

Reactions: Rumcajz and Wugg

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally, I preferred the unspoiled look of the first version, but that might be my bias against ice crystal. Maybe throw some turret docks on the open spaces for optional upgrades. (Nose, Roof of bridge area, above and below the engine pods, underneath, narrow PD turrets along the outer sides of the docking bay, etc.)

Reaction score
    Personally, I preferred the unspoiled look of the first version, but that might be my bias against ice crystal. Maybe throw some turret docks on the open spaces for optional upgrades. (Nose, Roof of bridge area, above and below the engine pods, underneath, narrow PD turrets along the outer sides of the docking bay, etc.)
    Hmm... perhaps you like this color scheme better? (Hull "painting" in progress as well)