looking for some help on an external power setup. Updated Tests

Reaction score
    I built a 23x cube that gives 1.06m power on its own but adding more than one only adds about 360k so I am looking for some pointers on how this external power systems work, I have not been able to find any videos showing external power or tutorials for that matter, I am guessing it works with the power supply beam but I am not clear on the setup. any help or links would be appreciated.

Reaction score
    find a logic tutorial for a loop. (it is activation -> delay-> not -> first activation) I personally use a loop with an included on/off function, but is not necessary. Tie the power supply beam to the loop (link the activation module of the loop to the power supply cpu.

It helps to have the emitter point of the external power dock be directly over the docking module, and firing into it. Be aware that the beams fire in the direction the CPU is pointed, not the beam modules.

Also make sure that you have large enough power supply beams to get most of the power to the main ship, but not so large as to completely exhaust the reactor module. If that happens, it goes into recovery mode and will not put out as much power.

I personally love these, and want to see a server designed around having them on all larger ships.

Reaction score
    Also make sure that you have large enough power supply beams to get most of the power to the main ship, but not so large as to completely exhaust the reactor module. If that happens, it goes into recovery mode and will not put out as much power.
    ok I have been testing with this cannon setup to constantly fire and however I am not sure I am reading the power readings right. when I tried to add beams to a 15x cube i had to add so many it turned into a 17x30x17 monster without ever hiting the power outage point. So trying to keep it to a 17x17x17 cube i tried using a pulse-power mix that gave a larger burst of power, but the cannon could still drain the batteries before the generator could beam power because of the delay increase. however turning it into a cannon-power mix let it run a much faster beam.

starmade-screenshot-0000 (2).jpg

I am running some internal external tests in an open space but hauling these things in from outside is a pain. But I still do not think I am tapping these cores to their full potential. any suggestions on how I can get these to transfer more power without making them so huge It defeats the point?

starmade-screenshot-0001 (2).jpg

starmade-screenshot-0002 (2).jpg

Reaction score
    There's a 4/5 effeciency rate on power supply, as the beam itself is consuming some of the energy (regardless of what combo you use.)

I didnt see if you had mentioned it, but you must also have power capacity on those reactors (and their carrier) to get the full potential regen (otherwise excess power generated is essentially dispersed into space), preferably give yourself some buffer space to allow for lag spikes.

I notice that your making a central core of power reactors and shelling it in the beam blocks, however, doing the opposite will give you more effeciency in your reactor block usage, likely cutting down the overall end size a bit compared to this current model.

Another issue you might be encountering is the repeating logic might not be keeping pace with the rate of energy generation, you'll want to adjust your combo to account for that. Hope my insight helps.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    ahh thank you maybe you can help me figure out what to do here. one thing is I have no storage blocks. I did have but the beam was not powerful enough the 15x core puts out 358kps while the beam at current config only outputs 96kps I have replaced all the center blocks that where storage with beams to even accomplish this. but taking away the storage has actually increased the power output and it never over runs like I said, but i need a way to get the beam up to around 300k output per second to keep up with the reactor. I have tested these reactors by sitting in them with a 100% 100% beam/cannon mix and they can run a constant beam indefinitely but I cant find a way to turn them on indefinitely.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420289461,1420288907][/DOUBLEPOST]ok wait I may see the answer now, the beams cannot really put out more than the 50k if that is all the have? or something like that right?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420291325][/DOUBLEPOST]ok I think I have worked it out apparently the beams are affected by the same equations as the power reactors, adding the shell actually dropped power drain to 5816, without the shell it went up to 13264, freaky, may have to try working on some weapons with that in mind.

Reaction score
    sounds like you are getting the hang of it!

What I want to see is a server where smaller ones matter. You could make power modules soft cap at about 1,000 e/s and shields at less, so that larger ships would have to have layouts like this in order to function.

It would be good for Role Play, because of the whole "reactor swapping" and upgrade possibilities; and of course, locating powerless wrecks and repairing them.