Longer building blocks

Reaction score
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before , but it would be nice to have an additional wedge shape block that is two blocks long but only one block high. This would allow for sleeker pointier and more varied designs of smaller ships. A little change that would make a massive difference to the variety of differing styles to the ships being built in the game. I can't be the only one who wishes this was in the game when trying to build a more sleeker styled craft.. That actually still looks good.

Pretty Please? :)

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This has been asked for a lot, and i think the answer is that due to the way the game is built it isn't going to happen.

Reaction score
    Not going to happen, sadly. But a different angle which, when you place two blocks, makes a different slope, would be nice. Depends if it's worth the blockIDs, really.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If it can be done, it should be done, even if it is just for prettier ramps in hangars.

Though other things are more important.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    2x1 ramp set: Two blocks (One angle going from 0 height to 1/2 block height; second going from 1/2 block height to full block height) with the most-basic hull type stats (basic hull HP and armor rating), multiplied by 8 colors = 16 new block IDs. Worth it? I think so. You'd be surprised how nice this would make many builds.

Next step: 3x1 ramp set: three blocks with 8 colors: 24 new block IDs. I'm not so sure about this set, but if we get 2x1, people are going to scream for a 3x1 ramp. And probably any number of additional blocks for various corners. Then I think there will be less demand for a 4x1 ramp set.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    16 new block IDs
    That's assuming people just want the ramp. Long before people start on about a 3x1, you're gonna have the demand for the angled versions (corner, pentas, tetras). so 64* IDs just so we could use them as many want to. We might get them, but it would be much later into development methinks, if there are resources left for it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    2x1 ramp set: Two blocks (One angle going from 0 height to 1/2 block height; second going from 1/2 block height to full block height) with the most-basic hull type stats (basic hull HP and armor rating), multiplied by 8 colors = 16 new block IDs. Worth it? I think so. You'd be surprised how nice this would make many builds.

Next step: 3x1 ramp set: three blocks with 8 colors: 24 new block IDs. I'm not so sure about this set, but if we get 2x1, people are going to scream for a 3x1 ramp. And probably any number of additional blocks for various corners. Then I think there will be less demand for a 4x1 ramp set.
    A pair of blocks for 2x1 blocks would be great, but people are going to demand variations for all hull types, glass, crystal armor, grill, mesh, crystal, etc.

I'm not going to pretend like it wouldn't give SO MUCH to build with. Just look at SE, which has a 2x1 ramp set. But we're limited by block IDs, and getting closer and closer to running out. According to this site, we're at 651 currently, not counting a few unused IDs in between 0 and that. That DOES give us quite a lot of blocks before we reach the 1024 max, but we should still be careful about it.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    MineCraft does not even use corners (at least not for default game terrain).

It just looks ugly because it is 1/2 or 1/4 the player's height.
    But we have twice as high blocks.

Do you care about your mouse's curves not being curves but atomic-scale stairs?
    > No, because you don't need that much detail.​

You just have to know when it's enough.
    I know you could argue with it's enough between wedges and 1/2 wedges, but I think it is not about the 1/2 details, but the detail with available angles.

EDIT:
    I would use it for example for V-shaped or A-shaped corridors (no corners needed)
    Maybe we should just upload enough different usage images if we really want a feature <--
    Unbenannt.jpg
    Imagine Green, Red-Green or Blue-Green corridors or rooms.​

Maybe we could just blur the edges to make it look not that much like a sharp edge.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dunno. At this point in time I think we might only need a Ridge, which is effectively a Penta with another slope going in the opposite corner.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's assuming people just want the ramp. Long before people start on about a 3x1, you're gonna have the demand for the angled versions (corner, pentas, tetras). so 64* IDs just so we could use them as many want to....
    Long before? I'm absolutely positive they'd demand it all at once, after a 2x1 ramp opens the floodgates. :D

It just looks ugly because it is 1/2 or 1/4 the player's height. But we have twice as high blocks. ... Maybe we could just blur the edges to make it look not that much like a sharp edge.
    I'm calling inaccuracy here. I'm pretty sure the block-to-avatar ratio is roughly the same in both games, and comes out to a meter per block edge, with the avatar being a little under twice the height of a block. (Edit: Unless you are referring to Minecraft's half-blocks, which have been requested for StarMade countless times.)

However, some sort of building mechanic to "blur the edges" might be a valid way to smooth things out. (Example: Maybe small rounds and fillets can be introduced to block edges with GL shaders or something.)

Reactions: NeonSturm